Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Is This Bad?

I'm trying to figure out if there's going to be any eternal ramifications for my actions yesterday. Is it bad to kick your husband while he's saying the prayer? What if, let's say, it's a meal time prayer, and he's still praying for, I don't know, orphans in Africa or something, and you're noticing through your one opened eye that your two year old is staring at her garlic bread with a look that says she is two seconds from eschewing all organized religion so she can just eat already. Then is it okay to kick him? I ere on the side of 'yes', but that's just me.

Preparing dinner as a family last night was a lot of fun. We were cutting up squash and onions for our spaghetti sauce, when Annie starting stealing pieces of squash to eat. She hasn't really eaten a lot of raw squash before, so this was a pleasant surprise, but not too much of one, 'cause this kid does tend to chow down on stuff like raw peppers like they're candy (don't give me too much credit, she also likes to chow down on candy like it's candy . . . in fact, candy is all she's asked for for breakfast the last two days. Stupid Halloween candy. Everywhere.) But what really surprised us is when she served herself up a little bowl of the raw onions and just went to town. Greg will eat raw onions, but to me, this is the weirdest freaking thing I've ever seen. Of course, I was like 24 before I'd even eat cooked onions if they were the littlest bit recognizable in a recipe. And I'm no where near being able to eat them raw. Same with peppers. (I now really enjoy cooked or sauteed peppers on onions in meals, but it was a long time coming, and I credit my marriage to Greg for the change.) Good thing there's a bit of 'do as I say and not as I do' that you can get away with in parenthood!

2 comments:

Talina said...

I feel the same way. I LOVE onions and peppers sauteed and sprinkled on various food items (chicken, tacos, fajitas, frozen cheese pizza), but I can't eat them raw yet. Annie offered me some of her raw green pepper one time and I had to pretend to eat them with her. I tried one, but I couldn't keep up the pretense that it was yummy so I just pretended to eat them and then made appropriate 'yum' noises so that she would keep eating them.
As for the kicking husbands during prayers. . . that's something between you and your God. ;)

Star said...

I think your going to hell. But that's just me.