Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Fun New Annie Skills

You know what I found out Annie can do today? She can open and close and open and close and open and close our front door. Then deadbolt it. With her inside; and my sisters, Dad and I all outside. Without a key. That was fun. By the time I'd talked Annie through unlocking the dead bolt, I don't know which of us was closer to tears. "I shut the door and locked it Mommy," she whimpered as I held her close to me once I got back inside. I'm pretty sure I can never leave my house again without a key around my neck on a piece of yarn. And, do you know how much it stresses me out to know she can unlock, even un-deadbolt, the front door and open it whenever she wants?! I was half tempted to go out tonight to buy a chain lock for the top of the door! I may just keep her in her crib until I've sufficiently child-proofed the front door.

Earlier in the evening, we were leaving Chick-Fil-A (the happiest place on earth! They even had a large cow mascot walking around the place playing with the kids. Annie found him fascinating, but told us, "I don't want to hold his hand." Aunt Star said she understood, Annie liked the giant cow, but wasn't 'in like' with him.) On the way home Star and I were talking in the front seat of the car, discussing something of utmost importance. That I don't really remember. So maybe it wasn't that important. Anyway, we were both trying to articulate our feelings about something all emotionally complex or something like that. Star said something that I'm sure was all deep and profound, when Annie suddenly piped up from the backseat, "But at the same time . . . it's weird." Which completely summed up our conversation. And made us laugh. Which made Annie say stuff like, "But at the same time . . . that's a car," and "But at the same time . . . I have a cup," the rest of the way home. I don't know where she comes up with some of this. She did continue to laugh about it the entire drive home though. A hilarious giggle, kind of a girl version of Nelson Muntz's 'ha-ha', which made Star and I laugh even harder, and had Annie saying, "I giggled," then she'd start laughing again, making us crack up . . . it was a whole not-really-vicious cycle type of thing. Seeing this whole thing in type, it's definitely hitting me that this was really only truly funny if you were there, but for those of us who were, it was awesome. Sorry the rest of you, but my car only fits two people besides the huge, bulky carseats! There was just something about hearing my two year old say, "But at the same time . . . it's weird," that makes me laugh just thinking about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wait till she locks you out of the car with the her and the keys inside!

Hilary said...

You know Kathy, that is my NUMBER ONE fear! I've worried about locking her in the car since the day we brought her home from the hospital! I put my keys on top of the car while I get them in carseats a lot of the time, just so I know I can't get them locked inside with the keys!