Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Make New Friends, But Keep the Old

Do y'all know that one song, that you sing in a round . . . "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other's gold." Meaning, of course, that long standing 'old' friendships are cool and all, but the new friends, that's where the first place kinda friendships are found. OK, I don't actually know what it means, I just know that Annie loves to sing it. In her own, adorable, mangled way. She was over at my parents house playing chess with my Dad (I don't think Jesus or monkeys were involved this time), taking her piece, knocking over his, and singing, "Make new friends, but keep the one that is old. And the other one is silver." It's all in the delivery . . . she sings the first part with the tune, then just just says the last line. (It's not unusual for Annie to bust into unprovoked song, but later we figured out that this song wasn't actually so random, as the chess pieces were silver and gold (well, kinda more bronze-ish, but she's only two, we haven't really learned bronze yet.) Thus that particular song. And the knocking each other's pieces over obviously lends itself to friendship, especially in two year old land.)

Anyway, the post title today has duel meaning. (I'm just that clever.) Yesterday was a nostalgia kinda day, with me 'talking' online with no less than four people I haven't seen in years, who live in at least three different states now! When I was in like first grade, then again for the end of second or something like that, we lived in Barstow, CA for awhile. Yep, I lived really close to that McDonald's that's shaped like a train. Or in a train. Or made from a train. I don't really remember exactly, I was like 8 or something. (Whenever I mention living in Barstow, people always say, "Oh, where that train McDonald's is!!" Yep, and you probably all stopped for gas there if you've ever driven to Southern California). Anyway, we made a ton of really life long friends while we were there, and for years we kept in touch and visited back and forth . . . but then life happens, adulthood, marriage and families, and you end up not seeing people who you still consider friends for really long stretches of time. Then one day you get ambitious on facebook. It is so amazing to me to picture someone as like 9 years old, then to see a picture of them their own kid already half that age. Anyway, I'm currently really loving the internet, without whom, how would've I ever really found all these people!

Then to top off all the coolness of being able to actually find people online . . . you can then cyber-stalk them, reading a year's worth of their blog and 'catching up.' The internet really is that cool. Then to top it off again (like a second cherry on your sundae, if you will) you can find a very funny video clip on one of their blogs, that made your husband laugh out loud. That you now quote lines of it back and forth to each other. And then you steal it and post it on your own blog. If you're me, that is. To rip off Bobbi's blog a little more, I'm also gonna add my own version of her parental advisory.

PARENTAL ADVISORY: (That was a little redundant.) Anyway, this video is funny, but probably not for the kiddos. Even if they're only two, and you think to yourself, "It's not like they understand it anyway," if you're two year old walks around saying, "It's business time," just remember, I warned you. I promise it's nothing offensive or obscene, it's just adult humor. You'll see when you watch it. With the kids in the other room. Enjoy!


5 comments:

Star said...

Yay, You've discovered Flight of the Chonchords! I love Jenny, and the Humans are dead. And many others.

Talina said...

I had forgotten Flight of the Chonchords! It's been too long since I have had access to youtube. I also like The Humans are Dead.

Unknown said...

You know there from New zealand?

Jessi said...

Oh, how I love Bret and Jemaine!

Shannon said...

We are huge fans of Flight of the Conchords. They have a whole series of shows. They are hilarious. Some cleaner than others though. Anyway, Business Time was my intro to them too. Totally hilarious example of married sex.