Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Mom is Always the Bad Guy

So, I caught Annie shoving her little sister to the ground. Such offenses are met with swift punishment, this time in the form of not only a time out, but time out in her little sister's crib (the ultimate torture). I informed Annie she would be staying in the crib for a little while, and she should not have pushed her sister over (especially not with Mom right there, I mean, duh.)

No sooner had I shut the door, when Ellie comes running at it, crying out, "Nah! Nah! Nanana!" (That's Annie, for those of you who don't speak Ellie.) She stood outside the door, futilely pounding her little fists against it, in an attempt to free her big sister.

Meanwhile Annie is screaming, "Ellie! Ellie! Come get me! Ellie, get me out! Ellie, help me!"

Ellie is getting more upset and frantic at the door, pounding harder, then suddenly abandons it to come running for me, grabbing my leg, trying to drag me back to the door with her, to free her poor, captive sister.

Annie is calling out her little sister's name, and Ellie decides I'm worthless, and runs back to the bedroom door. Crying out for Annie.

Ellie is still sitting outside that door, calling, "Mama! Mama! Nah. Nana."
Yeah Ellie, I am actually aware that your sister is trapped in that room. But thanks for letting me know.

6 comments:

Talina said...

Hey, there is nothing that brings two people together like a common enemy. Solidarity in sisterhood! You may be the bad guy but they are BONDING because of it ;)
That is such a cute story. I love Ellie's loyalty for Annie, even when it's undeserved.

Jessi said...

Oh, the things Annie is going to convince Ellie to do over the next few years...that will be interesting. Older sisters can be so manipulative...we know all too well!

Hilary said...

Oh, Jessi, that is a scary thought! :-)

Although, Annie and I have very different younger sisters . . . Annie has a minion who will do her bidding . . . I had uppity peasants who constantly tried to overthrow the monarchy!

Sare said...

I agree with Talina. Our timeouts for fighting with eachother were always in the form of "sitting on the stairs" (one at the top, one at the bottom, and far from my mother's hair.) I don't know if she planned it that way, but in our stair-sitting boredom we'd slowly ebb our seats closer together and plot about how to overthrow the rule of our common enemy- Mom the Prison Warden. We may have started out mad at eachother but our captive stints always ended in a more united team against "the Man"...

Jackie H said...

Too funny! Weird how kids are. Kyle is the first one to try to comfort Claire when she's crying because she's being punished for doing something to him. I'll never forget that first two-handed shove she gave him when he could barely crawl. We still see it occasionally; I don't think she cares if we are there to witness it or not.

Jules AF said...

Umm... LOVED your comment on SSB today. I would really like to hit Jenny McCarthy in the face for daring to say her child is cured. (I could go on for pages about this, but I won't because it's just a comment on someone I don't even know's blog.)
But seriously? Thank you for giving false hope to mothers with children with autism everywhere.
And who doesn't listen to her? haha