Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Geeks Always Ruin the Worst Movies

So, last night, I tried to get Greg to watch "The Core" with me.

Mainly, 'cause I know that he hates it more than any other movie, possibly in the history of all cinema. And I haven't seen it before, just heard about how horribly, painfully, amazingly awful it is. He describes it as the worst movie ever made, and that they went out of their way to get every single scientific thing as wrong as humanely possible. Thus, my curiosity.

The basic idea (as far as I paid attention, I was actually having more fun mocking Greg about watching the movie than from actually watching it), is that the Earth's core has stopped spinning (insert Greg's first big dramatic pained sigh here), so they have to get it going again (eyes practically role back in his head.)

So, I'm happily watching the movie, asking Greg questions sure to annoy him, like, "So hon, what scientific anomaly would suddenly cause all the pigeons in Central Park to veer wildly out of control and start killing people?" He ignored me. And hopped onto the internet.

A few minutes later, Greg hands me this:

Pointing out his equation, he begins to explain that to start to core of the earth moving again (as if that was actually possible, sigh, eye roll), at its estimated weight, it would take 2.564x1029 joules of energy (OK, without whipping out an html book, I have no idea how to make that '29th power' thing where it belongs, so just use your imagination).

Then he added that in 2005 the total world output of joules, for the whole world, was like a billion times less than that amount of energy. For the entirety of the earth for an entire year. Now can I see why every copy of this DVD and all original files and film should be burned from the face of the earth?!

I love being married to a geek. (Although, it's interesting that I seem to be unable to trick the man into getting into the slightest argument with me for over five years of marriage; but faulty science, that just pisses him off.)

5 comments:

Lani said...

Awww. Geeks are the best!

WonderKitty said...

Ahahaha! That is awesome. I do that to Nik everytime someone tries to cut a circle out of class to break into a house or something...the glass would totally shatter! Not cut a perfect hole in the middle. Physics people!

WonderKitty said...

Oh, and I bet Talina actually understands that equation.

Jessi said...

Wow! I don't know if I even understood your explanation of Greg's equation!

Greg said...

I am a geek, and I reserve the right to use my knowledge to ruin my fun.