Saturday, August 15, 2009

Giant Hole in the Ground

With another of our Kennecott Family Passes, we headed out to the Bingham Canyon Mine, i.e. the world's largest man-made hole in the ground.
I don't know what's more impressive . . . the mountain turned inside out, or the gigantic trucks that made full size school buses look like toy cars.
The girls had a lot of fun at the mine, but that may have had more to do with the fact they were running around in princess dresses, and that Aunt Talina and Uncle David had come along to entertain them, than their life long interest in ore extraction. Ellie was also enjoying 'torturing' her big sister . . . she had a stuffed Winnie the Pooh doll that Annie wanted, and Ellie would hug it tightly to herself, then act like she was handing it to Annie, then laugh and giggle as she snatched it back at the last second and ran away. Annie cried a lot. This was repeated a lot. Ellie was getting a kick out of it. Poor Annie; as an oldest child myself, I can feel her pain of dealing with horribly mean and abusive baby sisters. :-)

Related to our Kennecott outing, I have already mentioned that Annie has wanted to wear nothing but Princess dresses ever since coming home from Yellowstone. Yesterday she came upstairs, carrying a couple gowns, when I heard her call out to her little sister, "Hey El, I brought you up a dress too . . . "
Ellie's been wearing a lot of dresses ever since.
And they were both wearing them when we went to the mine.

Here's Cinderella-Annie.
The massive trucks . . . it was amazing how much they dwarfed the bus!
Ellie running around with her hostage Winnie the Pooh.
Once we got inside, Ellie needed a diaper change, so Annie once again gained possession of the prized stuffed animal. Remind me to NEVER leave the house with just one toy again. Annie kept a tight grip on Pooh, even while checking out the microscopes.
Aunt Talina and Uncle David.
Here's Ellie dressed as Ariel. She was pretty pleased with her princess self.
Annie, Greg, me and Ellie.
Talina & David with the girls.
Aunt Talina with a happy Ellie at our house.

3 comments:

Jessi said...

Your family is so cute, I can't even stand it! I am totally jealous of your girls and their princess dresses. Sounds like you had another awesome outing.

Talina said...

That was such a fun little outing. I'm glad that David has now experienced the wonder that is kennecott copper mine (aka giant hole in mountain).
The girls were adorable that night, as usual. But David and I were also particularly adorabe in our picture in front of the giant tire. I really need to raid your picture files some time and get copies of all of these great pictures!

Jackie H said...

LOVE the princess outfits. I think Claire and Annie will be best friends. I can't wait to get to spend time with you guys.