Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Happy Birthdays!

My little brother Cody turned 18 on Sunday.

How crazy is that?! My parents have successfully raised their children to adulthood. My baby brother is an adult (granted, an adult that due to an August birthday, still has his entire Senior year of High School ahead of him, but dude, he's a could-get-arrested-and end-up-with-a-record kind of adult!)

Cody is just about the cutest Uncle in the entire world, complete with calling and asking if Annie can come play with him, then taking the kids out to play in the sprinklers for hours. They both just adore him, and love to see Uncle Cody whenever possible.

It's been amazing to watch Cody grow up. I was there when he was born (it was the 15th Anniversary of Elvis' death . . . I remember watching news about it all day in the hospital while my Mom was in labor), and I watched him grow through childhood for years and years. Then one day it's like we all woke up and he was this full grown adult male, complete with broad shoulders and leg hair. Weird.

Happy 18th Birthday Cody!

This was at my wedding 5 years ago . . . he's so teeny tiny! :-)
Awwww, look how cute he is!
And now he's somehow grown into this:
And then a bunch of pictures of the sheer adorableness that is his Uncle-ing skills:




Look! He's even old enough to grow a moustache now!


Then today is my Dad's birthday!
My Dad is one of my heroes. Cheesy, I know, but it's true. He's an amazing example of a father. Although, that has come to bite him in the butt . . . turns out, that if you're a hands on, attentive, supportive, loving father, your daughters seek out men who will value the role of 'Dad' just as much, and then you never get enough time with your grandkids, since they have actively involved Daddies of their own.
My Dad taught me to love learning, traveling, exploring, games, cards, museums, parks, lakes, and anything that brings a family together to spend time with one another. He taught me that I was smart, capable, amazing, brilliant and of infinite worth. So, anyone who has a problem with my ego, it's probably best to talk to him. (I once had a coworker tell me that my self worth was so inflated that my big head had it's own ego-system. (Get it, eco-system, ego-system?) It was actually a compliment.) Dad showed me that knowledge was powerful . . . and he would be my 'life line/mobile shout out' on just about any game show I could ever end up on.
My Dad values his family above all else. I've known that my whole life, and it's shaped who I am, and how I look at, and cherish, my own family.
Much like becoming a father, my Dad threw himself wholeheartedly into the role of Grandpa. He'd been looking forward to it for so long I think he was starting to secretly kinda wish any of his daughters would just get pregnant already . . . stability optional. When he has a day off work, he comes by and visits or picks up my kids and takes them somewhere. He's ever anxious to show or teach them some new thing, but carefully checks with Greg and I to make sure he's not stepping on any toes, as my own husband is equally geeky and has all kinds of dorky things he wants to teach kids by himself. Dad not so secretly wishes I'd have triplets next time, so that there'd be more grandkids to go around, and maybe Greg and I wouldn't have so much time to spend as much time to dote on our own children.

Happy Birthday Dad!

Back when he only had one kid (me) . . . and much more hair. Almost as much as Mom.
After adding Star into the mix.My Dad and me at my wedding reception.Proud Grandpa holding Annie on her blessing day.The day Ellie was born.
G-Bob (his self appointed Grandpa name), with Ellie.
Annie and Grandpa at the Dinosaur Museum.

6 comments:

Talina said...

Happy Birthday to two of the greatest guys I know! (and I'm related to them! I am so spoiled). Everything you said about Dad is completely true and all of our over-inflated egos. . . I mean great self-esteem can be attributed to our parents. They are awesome.
My only complaint when it comes to fatherly advice was that all those years of helping dad sheetrock, run wiring and dig trenches for sprinkler systems, he always told me, "This is why you go to college. So that you can afford to pay someone else to do these things." Well, there are a couple of problems with that. 1) Since I've know how to do them it seems RIDICULOUS to pay someone else to do them (besides, I'm pretty sure that's why I have a husband and why I will give him little helpers i.e. children) and 2) Dad forgot the very important piece of information that when you go to college, you have to study a field where you can actually MAKE money. But I do love him for always encouraging me to do my best and to never let anyone hold me back but most of all doing what made me happy, no matter what anyone else thought (this is what gave me the guts to tell my advisor I wanted a Masters degree instead of a PhD. Dad may regret that little lesson now).
And Cody- if I DO have a son while you are on your mission, I promise I won't let David even ATTEMPT to teach him anythings sports-like that could possibly screw up your coaching later. I'm sure, with time, hypothetical-son will be able to make up for the time lost while you were away ;)

Jessi said...

Happy Birthday Cody and Robert!

Lori's Family said...

Happy Birthday to your dad:-) I just had to comment on how much your little girls look just like you did. So cute!

Lani said...

I love your family. I hope my family turns into yours when they grow up! :-)

Star said...

oKAY... The picture with dad holding Annie at her Blessing (annie or ellie's, I can't remember which) Talina is in the background... well honestly I still can't decide if that's Talina or you. dang we all look a lot alike

Hilary said...

Star, that's ME!!!! Not Talina! I just happen to have that thin of a face (and I'm at the right angle) 6 weeks after having a baby, and I'm happy about that, so don't give Beans the credit! :-)