I'm a 'different but equal' kinda person when it comes to the debate of feminism and all that. Basically, I strongly believe in equal rights and opportunities, but I also believe men and women to be very different creatures. I wouldn't expect us to act or react the same way in a number of situations.
I have an awesome husband, who on top of working all day, being helpful around the house, an amazing cook and an incredibly hands on father (who changes almost all the diapers when he's home), is always supportive of me in whatever I want to do. Sure, he goes to work and I stay home with the kids, but with him cooking a lot of our dinners and giving the kids baths, and me supplementing our income with my freelance graphic design, it's not one hundred percent the picture of 1950's gender roles/stereotypes of yesteryear either. Greg and I contribute equally to run our home, in some similar and in some very different ways. But even in the things we share, like taking care of the kids, I'm often struck by how 'different' we handle things. (Like, I react as if every nerve has been put on high alert when the baby starts to scream at a slightly different pitch than normal, diving across the room to correct whatever the problem is, and Greg can be holding said child and not even notice she has gotten her wedged painfully between two parts of a toy. I react immediately and precisely to all things with our kids. (Uptight? Yeah, probably. It's a little too 'Kate Gosselin' for my tastes at times, I just can't help it.) He's much more chill, and handles things completely differently than I do . . . which, although at times for me is frustrating, it isn't in any way the 'wrong' way to handle things.)
But you know when I feel the most 'different'? It's when I'm sick. I currently feel like crap. My throat hurts, my body aches, I'm tired and winded (my asthma kicks in when I have a bug). To top it off, my girls are running around with runny noses and cranky attitudes. What does this mean in my life? Well, if I'm lucky, I can talk Annie into staying in bed with me and watch an episode or two of "Imagination Movers", while bribing Ellie with Cheerios to stay mellow for awhile. But for me there'll be no naps, no real rest, and someone still has to make us all breakfast and lunch and should probably get the dishwasher unloaded before our kitchen is completely taken over by dirty dishes. Laundry needs to get changed, or the batch in the washer is gonna start to smell. And after breakfast, the kitchen and front room floors need to be thoroughly vacuumed before Ellie finds and eats any breakfast strays that found their way to the floor. When Greg is sick, he can reasonably expect about 20 hours of sleep in a given day, even with the kids running around. Even if I'm equally sick (or worse off) at the same time. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that Greg seems to get over a bug within a day, at the most two, whereas my illnesses are more likely to linger for the better half of a week before I feel fully human again.
Ah, what I wouldn't give to just nap tomorrow. For hours. That's the kinda equal opportunity I'm talkin' about.
Unrelated, but Ellie took four steps today! My little girl is amazing!
And, Annie wore panties all day today without an accident . . . she got up this morning, went in and changed into panties this morning by herself, and just decided it was a 'non-diaper' kinda day and went with it . . . we'll see what she decides tomorrow. Heaven knows I can't show any kind of opinion on the topic though, or she'll pee in retaliation, probably on bedding of some kind.
6 comments:
I am so sorry you are not feeling well. It looks like the girls in their own ways, steps and no accidents, did their part to make you feel better. I will seriously come over tomorrow, and play with the girls while you nap, if you think they'll have me while you are still in the house. Call me in the morning, and let me know your thoughts. I am serious!
Chad takes a nap everyday at 4ish for about an hour ( he goes to work at 5 in the morning). I never mind when I am feeling well, but when I am sick, I totally resent him for it. The thing is, even if he stays awake so that I can sleep, Lauren and Evan still find there way up in my bed. Being a mom and being sick is no fun at all. I wish I lived closer. I would have you bring them over to my place for a couple of hours. Don't worry about the house-just get yourself better.
That is totally normal. Guys are always more sick then girls. And need more rest and babying. Bull. I hope you get your nap, even if it is just for a few minutes!
Adding my well-wishes, David and I could take the girls on SATURDAY if you need a nap (I don't get home nearly early enough to help you out today. If fact, even if you are feeling COMPLETELY better, I wouldn't mind taking one or both of the munchkins for awhile!
It sucks being a sick mom. I absolutely agree with you about this issue. When Ian is sick he naps, lays on the couch with the laptop, etc. There are no sick days for moms. No matter how crappy you feel, you still have to take minimal care of the kids, everyone has to eat, and odds are the kids won't nap while you're sick, so neither can you. Very unfair. I would definitely say pawn the kids off on a friend or the grandparents so you can get some real rest. I am very worried about when I get my wisdom teeth out next month. Sigh. Feel better soon!
A-MEN.
Post a Comment