Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Grandpa

I recently wrote about Greg's Grandpa.




He peacefully passed away this morning, just shy of his 92nd birthday.

I will miss him and I know his family will have a hole in their hearts and lives because of his absence.

But. I am happy for him. His body was weak and he was imprisoned in a body and a mind that were fading. He had a wife who died over ten years ago that he missed immensely. He has talked to me on several occasions about how excited he was to see her again one day. He had never known his mother, as she died when he was young. He once told me he could not wait to meet her.

I feel our loss, but I imagine the reunions that took place this morning as he left this life. He is in the arms of his sweetheart, his mother and his family that went before him. He is happy. He is whole; thoughts, memories and facts no longer eluding him. He can see. Oh, how wonderful it must be to have your vision open to you again, after years of blindness. He is where he's wanted to be for so long. He is where he is supposed to be.

I wrote in an email to a family member this morning that sums up how I feel about Grandpa's passing:
I hope and pray that when it's our time, we will all be as ready to move on as Grandpa was . . . being able to look back on a life well lived, a family well loved, and a faith in all the wonders that lie ahead of us.
We will miss you Grandpa.

(My sister in law Liz wrote a wonderful tribute to him as well. Us granddaughter-in-laws were quite smitten with him.)


The video from Fox 13, less than two weeks ago:

7 comments:

Makayla Mackie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I understand though as I lost my Grandma Mackie this summer. I know the hole it leaves in your heart and life, but it is so wonderful to have the Gospel in our lives and know that we will get to see our loved ones again one day. To know they are in a better place where they are no longer in any more pain. If there is anything I or my parents can do for you, please let us know.

Jessi said...

What a sweet tribute. I always feel so bad for people who are separated from their spouses after a long life together.

Liz Johnson said...

RIP Grandpa. This is so beautiful... it made me cry. :(

Jackie H said...

You're famous on TV! I loved this post. My grandpa is on the way out too, and we're happy for him to get back to his daughter who passed away 25 years ago and his wife who passed just before Claire was gone. I can't imagine how happy your grandpa was to see his mother. What a wonderful reunion.

I'm sorry for your loss, but happy for how much he must have gained:)

Nicole said...

What a wonderful tribute! I am so sorry for your family's loss. How neat that was to just barely see him and celebrate his wonderful but sometimes scary experiences, his bravery and courage. I hope you were able to get your four generation pictures that you wanted, they will be such a keepsake.

Chrystal said...

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing and reminding us of the wonders of faith and understanding the gospel's promises of eternity and family.

Lori's Family said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad I got to know a little of his story. It sounds like he lived a full and happy life.