Last night we attended a party in honor of Greg's Grandpa Ken. I've had a huge soft spot in my heart for Grandpa ever since I met him, and have enjoyed talking to him and hearing his stories of raising his own family, years spent as an educator, and of the wife he misses so much. (Grandma June passed away before I married into the family, so I have yet to meet her.) I feel my family is incredibly blessed to be surrounded by numerous grandparents. My girls are able to enjoy NINE grandparents in their lives, all of whom live within an hour drive of us.
One of my very favorite pictures of Annie, is from when she fell asleep on Grandpa Ken's lap after a long Christmas morning when she was a year and a half old. Annie was always the worst sleeper, and would never fall asleep for me anywhere but in bed, so to see her look so peaceful and to just drift off in her great grandfather's arms was so touching.

It has been hard to watch Grandpa Ken age so rapidly this last couple years. But at 92 years old, he has lived a full life, complete with a family who adores him and history of heroic patriotism. He is a naval submarine veteran and last night, hospice put together a party in his honor and in honor of his service to this country. It was complete with family, friends, neighbors and veterans. An army chaplain came and said a few words, reminding us all of the sacrifice Grandpa Ken's generation made. That these young men in WWII went to war, to either win or die. There was no coming back, there were no terms to their service without either victory or death. He spoke specifically of a submariners life, the challenges and sacrifices, and the great work they did in the war. He read the Submariners Prayer, then blessed the occasion, Grandpa's remaining days, and the food. A young boy scout troop came and performed a flag ceremony for Grandpa and the guests. Annie participated in the Pledge of Allegiance, as she's been learning it at school, and it made me so proud. Fox 13 news was even there to film the event, and interview Grandpa and his sons. Grandpa was very emotional, suddenly crying often, and repeating how wonderful it was that everyone was there for him. I was able to take some four generation photos with him, as I've foolishly been putting it off. It was a wonderful evening to see family, to remember sacrifices made of those who came before, and to spend some time and create more memories for me and my girls while we still have Grandpa with us. Nobody knows how much longer Grandpa has on this earth, but I know when it is my time to go, I can only hope to have touched as many lives, to have left a mark, to have been loved by so many, and to have lived such a life that I can be so at peace with my Maker as to welcome the opportunity to be reunited with my family who has passed on before me and with God.
Here is Annie and I (with Greg and Ellie in the background) before the party started.

Ellie hanging on Greg, much like a monkey. :-)

Grandpa K.C. introduced the girls to cheetos. They are hooked for life. Ellie spent most of the party trying to get her little orange covered hands on more. He promised them there would be cheetos at his house on Sunday for Conference . . . Annie remembers that and has mentioned it twice already . . .

Here is Grandpa Ken and Grandpa K.C. being interviewed by Fox 13.

One of our four generation pictures that we took. It's amazing that there is more than a 90 year span here!
And the gold gym dividing wall (found in many older LDS Church buildings) is hard on the flash, and really threw off my color in a lot of the pictures, but I'm just glad we were able to get more current four generation shots!

At one point during the evening, Grandpa got to talk on the phone with his grandson Chris (Greg's brother who lives out of state with his family). I don't think Grandpa liked my small cell phone, as it was hard to hold and didn't feel right in his hand. He just had Greg hold it for him.

Ellie loved the cake.

I tried to convince Annie that if she was just going to pick it up to stick it on her fork, we could probably just skip the fork step altogether, but she's a stickler for manners. :-)

Ellie too. :-)

What you don't see here is Annie nearly in tears, as this was her piece of cake Ellie suddenly grabbed and shoved into her mouth.

There were a few veterans in attendance, and all came up to shake Grandpa's hand . . .


Greg and Ellie talking with Grandpa.

Annie with two of her Grandpas.

Grandpa with the boy scout troop that came and performed the flag ceremony.

After it was over, Grandpa K.C. got out the giant push broom to start cleaning up. The grandkids (and great-nephews, in Jimmy's case) were fascinated by this and were eager to 'help.' It slowed K.C. down a lot, he's so great with all the kids!

Grandma Ruth joined in (to lend a hand of support to Ellie, as she kept tripping while they were pushing), and we joked about sweeping becoming a 'five man job'. . . .
7 comments:
What a touching tribute. That is really neat, and special. Your girls looked adorable in their matching sweaters, and I like the 4 generations pictures. The "greatest generation" is not around as much as they once were....it is sad, and I think our communities need more people like them!
I'm so sad I didn't get to be there, but thank you SO MUCH for taking those beautiful pictures!!!! Awww grandpa. I have a very special soft spot for him too. :)
What a fun party for your family! I wish that we were living close enough to my Grandma to do that sort of thing. Her birthday is today, and I know it would mean a lot to her.
Also - congratulations! You won the barrette! Stop by my blog ASAP and leave me some contact information so I can send it to you! I'm sure it'll be darling in your girls' hair. :D
That totally made me cry. What a sweet post. How lucky for you girls to be able to know him.
That is so cool! I am glad you guys got to go. And I love the generation pictures. What a great oportunity.
I love that generation. And that picture from Christmas morning is so precious!
I saw this on the news lastnight. How sweet, really touching. What a great man. Annie and Ellie look so cute. What is it about matching outfits that boost the cute factor?;)
Post a Comment