I know this'll come as no shock to anyone who has kids (or has ever met any kids) . . . but they can act awfully different around others than they do around their parents. Greg and I will actually be making plans for later in the evening than the girls usually stay up, and when one of us voices concerns about the sheer craziness and off the charts grumpiness that hits after 7PM, the other will remind, "It won't be a problem, other people will be around." And true to form, our daughters hold it together an hour or two later than they'd ever dream of being civil for at home.
The biggest discrepency I see is Annie around me (and only me) vs. Annie around my Mom. It's like two completely different children. One easily set off and quick to snap, the other a picture of perfect preschooler intent on learning new stuff and saying adorable things.
My daughter: Basically now refuses to acknowledge that there is a set standard how the rest of the English speaking world forms their letters . . . and definitely will not actually attempt to write any such letters.
My mother's grandchild: Comes home with worksheets filled with practiced letter formation. She proudly shows off her page of F's to anyone who'll give her a second glance.
My daughter: We'll be reading a book, and if I dare stop on a simple word and ask her what the first sound is, she'll dramatically throw the book down and storm off while yelling, "I don't want to sound stuff!"
My mother's grandchild: Grandma will proudly look up from a book they're looking at together and exclaim, "That's like the twentieth word she's sounded out all by herself . . . she's reading these so well we're going to move on to sight words next week!"
My daugther: Turns her nose up at new foods, and even some old reliables . . .
My mother's grandchild: Comes home practically dyed pink from eating numerous raw tomatoes out of Grandma's garden all afternoon. Apparently eating them just like they were apples. And for lunch had a giant serving of brocolli with her noodles.
My daughter: Gets so grumpy in the afternoon (although refuses to nap, no matter what we've tried) that we're all either walking on eggshells or pulling out our hair in frustration with her sheer unreasonableness.
My mother's grandchild: "She was perfect! Everyone thought she was so charming!"
My daughter: Yells at her sister, "Ellie, STOP looking at me! Be nice! I'm not going to play with you NEVER again!"
My mother's grandchid: "Oh, my little dear, are you okay? Oh, come here my sweet little dear . . ." as Grandma coos, "Oh, she is so sweet with her little sister . . ."
My daughter: "Annie, how did preschool go?" "Fine." "What did you do?" "Nothing." "Did you have fun?" "Yeah."
My mother's grandchild, "Hey Grandma! I went to preschool today and we learned about apples, and the letter A, and the color red, and I learned a new song . . . do you want to hear it?"
Moral to the story: I'm sending Annie to live with my parents when she's a preteen.
6 comments:
That's probably a good plan. I like how well behaved Annie is around others. Then it makes YOU look like the crazy person when you go off about how crazy she is.
Though I've seen glimpses of crazy Annie. But since I don't live with her, I find her anti-sleep antics HILARIOUS!
And at least she will learn to read and write, even if you will not have contributed in any way, shape or form.
Too funny- kinda sad, but mostly funny. Perhaps you should handcuff your mom to you for a week and see what happens. Annie may implode on the spot out of reactionary confusion, but the premise would make for a great Twilight Zone episode...
When Annie is a genius (well, more than she already is) everyone will be giving you the credit anyway. Let your mom do all the work, and then you will reap the benefits.
So just wondering. . . which do you think is worse. If your children act BETTER around other people or if they act WORSE?
On the one hand, it would be nice if they were angels for you and stinkers for everyone else, cause you would get angels! But then everyone would secretly judge your poor parenting skills.
OR, your kids would drive you slowly insane at home but the people in your life can only marvel at how AMAZING and charming your children are, thus reflecting quite favorly onto you!
I can't decide which would be better in practice. . .
That's hilarious! I don't think my mom quite understands this concept. I've talked to her multiple times about a couple neices and nephews that she things are always angels and doesn't understand why they get in trouble by their parents. Her determination, the kids must just like her better. Who knows, maybe it's engrained in kids at birth that grandparents are the ones to behave for and mom and dad are the ones to test (you know since grandma and grandpa already got their testing from you).
I hear ya! So not fair, huh? We serve them all day (and sometimes all night) and this is what we get in return?! So so not fair! I have a feeling we'll be leaning on each other for support through their adolescence... oy.
Post a Comment