Saturday, January 2, 2010

Who Taught Her That?

Annie surprised me yesterday when she was looking at the digital clock on the front of our DVD player and suddenly said, "Look Mom, it's 10:42!" For a long time she's been into what time it is, I've been hearing, "Mom, it's nine-two-four," or "It's seven-three-nine," for quite awhile now. But to hear the words, "Forty-two," coming from her mouth with no help or prompting kinda shocked me. I mean, she's been counting, sometimes all the way to 100, on her own -- so I've heard her say words like "Forty-two" before, but I had no clue she knew how to put the numbers together on her own. Then, just to prove it wasn't a fluke, this morning she was checking out the time ('cause for some reason she thought 8:30 was the magical time I would suddenly let her have gum), and she proudly announced, "OK Mom, it's eight thirty-two! Time for gum!" She was annoyed when I rejected her time/gum logic, and would continue to point out when it was "eight thirty-three" "eight thirty-four" "eight thirty-five."
It blows me away some of the stuff they pick up without anyone ever really explaining it to them!

1 comment:

Laura Lynn said...

Cute and kinda scary too - what are they picking up when we don't notice? My 18 month old goes around saying "Oh maaan!" and before that my girl(now 4 yrs. old) would say 'Oh that sucks!"