Saturday, January 16, 2010

It's Amazing it's Not More Uncomfortable . . .

There's this "9 Month Miracle - Fetal Development" tool on some University Medical Center's website. I came across it when I was first pregnant with Annie. It's fascinating to me . . . it illustrates fetal development, as well as what's happening inside a Mom's body while the baby grows.

For instance, starting here at 8 weeks, when the uterus is just double it's normal size, here is where all the mother's organs are located -- with plenty of room for everything.
Here's where I'm at now, around 16-17 weeks -- which explains my new found 'baby bump'. (Seriously, one day I looked like I was putting on some weight, the next day, BAM, I'm obviously pregnant. Crazy.)
Here's 28 weeks . . . notice all the organs being squished and shoved up into like a third of the space it all used to be in. Is it any wonder so many women suffer from heartburn in pregnancy?!
And my favorite -- 40 weeks.
Um, where did all this poor woman's organs go!? It really is amazing to me that pregnancy isn't more uncomfortable! Or that our spleens, livers, stomachs, intestines, etc., don't suffer permanent damage! (Although, it was during pregnancy that my gallbladder freaked out and later had to be yanked out.)
How crazy looking is that?! It's amazing what the body does and just how much it adjusts.
This, by far, is one of my favorite pregnancy online 'tools'.

2 comments:

Lani said...

Amazing, indeed!

Since you mentioned heartburn... I had bad heartburn during my first pregnancy, and none with the other two... weird!

Britt said...

And we now have illustrated evidence explaining why I'm hating my life. ;)