Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Ellie's First Birthday

So, Ellie turns one today. This last year has flown by. I can't believe we're on the verge of toddlerhood with this child. She's still just my baby. (This illusion is helped by her baldness, her mere 17 lbs and her one little tooth . . . even teeny tiny Annie at this age had a little more hair and 8 whole teeth in.) I'm not ready for Ellie to be one. Not that I have a lot of choice though.

She is amazing me more each day though. I recognize her words for balloon, bird, doggie, Daddy, Mommy and sometimes Annie (she's inconsistent in what she calls Annie). She's refusing to take more solo steps, but you can't help but trip over her as she barrels back and forth in the kitchen pushing some wheeled toy around at breakneck speeds. She's still a mommy's girl, but she definitely loves her daddy. Last night Greg was in Annie's room, behind closed doors, assembling Annie's new bed (i.e. her birthday present) and Ellie stood outside that door yelling, "Dada! DAA! Daaaaaaaadaaaaa!" for a good five minutes trying to make it to her Dad. She thinks Annie is hilarious, but is rightfully wary of her when her older sister comes in for a hug (which usually ends in tears by the poor squished baby). It has been an amazing year, to watch her go from a newborn to this baby right on the verge of childhood.
I'm just hoping this next year doesn't go as fast!

Here she was yesterday, while we were celebrating Annie's birthday. First, with Grandma.



Excitedly playing with the birthday girl.

Here she was yesterday showing off her 'balloon' talking skills. I'd hoped to get more of her words on video, but she kinda just digressed to yelling back and forth with Annie.


And here she was, 'talking on the phone' on vacation.

4 comments:

WonderKitty said...

Happy birthday Ellie! I am so glad you post pictures of your kinds here Hil, it is so great to watch them grow up.

Liz Johnson said...

I CANNOT BELIEVE SHE'S ALREADY ONE!!! Oh man!!!! Happy Birthday, Ellie!!!

Talina said...

She is such a cutie! It is amazing how 'baby-ish' she still is but I like it. I like having a baby around so until you have another one, I'm cool with bald little toothless Ellie. :)

Jessi and Dalan said...

Happy Birthday, Ellie! I cannot believe that she is already a year old! She is so beautiful!