Friday, January 30, 2009

Anxiously Waiting . . .

So, today's the day that TAMN announces the winner of the makeover contest. As most of you know, I nominated my friend Rachel and she was one of the finalists. I think I've checked my email like 40 times already this morning, and I'm thinking half of seriouslysoblessed's web traffic this morning is me clicking over there every 5 minutes.

I'm pretty sure Rachel didn't win . . . but my guess is she was a strong second. And I'm totally cool with that. She will get a makeover for sure, probably some other fun prizes (I'm hoping portraits, maybe some clothes), but I think Emily will win. And I'm really happy about that.

Rachel is just as deserving as any of the other women on there, of course; and as far as lives really sucking right now, Rach definitely has that one down . . . but really, this contest didn't mean to her what it meant to some of the other contestants. It seemed to mean more to me and the others who nominated her . . . almost as if we were willing the universe to just let ONE thing in her life go right. But really, she's in a fog right now. Understandably, her life is so chaotic, traumatic, scary, difficult and different right now, making it so things like makeovers and prizes are barely registering. When you're trying to figure out how to keep an eight month old from losing any more weight; to eat when he won't take a bottle all day long at a babysitter's, and now wants to nurse all night long, and you have to get up early and get you both off to the babysitter's and work, I guess it's hard to look to anything else besides just making it through the day. Hopefully a makeover will make her feel a little bit more herself, more human, more woman. I'm hoping the prizes she'll get as a runner up will have some positive, uplifting influence on her . . . I really think they have the power to make her feel a little better. Maybe make her feel a little better about herself. But really, only time is going to heal such deep wounds, and right now, time is going awfully slow. I've gathered all the sweet and supportive comments I could find on seriouslysoblessed for Rachel, and will give them to her. And really, right now I think that will help her out more than a hotel stay in Provo will right now.

Congrats to whoever wins . . . they were all completely deserving, but my fingers are crossed for Emily!

Edited to add: Emily did win. Congratulations to her! Rachel will still be overwhelmed with goodies though, her prizes including:
Nummy nummy Cafe Rio, $30 GCs to Shade Clothing, the cutest hoodie ever, jewelry of their choice from The Pretty Kitty, darling earrings from reader Kayci, AND some babe-them-up pampering (thanx to Metropolitan Salon in Provo, Lunatic Fringe in Salt Lake, Jacque at Visage Skin & Beauty Bar in Pleasant Grove and Cultures Salon in Clearfield), AND they each get family photos (thanx to Alli Easley, Blue Lily, Jessie Alexis Photography and Gemstone Photography).

Edited again to add: My sister Talina and I had both nominated Rachel . . . we ALSO get hoodies and pericures!

Thanks to
Alli Easley of Easley Photography and Annemarie at Culture's Salon in Clearfield for the photos and makeover for Rachel!

6 comments:

Fig said...

What a sweet post. I hope things start to look up for Rachel, and all the finalists, really soon.

Star said...

I am very happy that Emily won... And that Rachel get's prizes. But I am mad that I don't get a hoodie. Give me yours. Come on Hilary... WWJD?

Talina said...

I'm so excited for Rachel! I'm glad she still gets a makeover and clothes and that she and Jovanny can get pictures together. That will be nice for her. And I am super excited for my hoodie! Yay!

Melissa said...

When I went to that blog, all of the finalists' stories just broke my heart. It really does make you take a moment and count all of your many blessings. I hope that getting nominated made Rachel feel like she has suport. That is one contest that I am glad I am not qualified for!!

Stephanie said...

Hi! I'm Stephanie, I nominated Melanie. I'm wondering if you've received and email from TAMN yet about the winnings? I haven't received anything and my sister and I are wondering how the prizes will be delivered and stuff. If you know more than I do -- let me know! :)

Please pass this to Rachel: as a divorced mother of two, my marriage also having ended due to his infidelity, I know how painful it is to not feel worthwhile to the man you loved. It will get better. God is aware of you and your sweet son. Please, turn your life to Him and allow the Atonement of Jesus to take the edge off the pain. I don't know if you're religious or not, so I hope you don't find offense in my words, but my personal greatest comfort is knowing that God is aware, and that He can take my pain. I've been divorced now for almost two years, I still haven't found Mr. Right, but I can tell you, it DOES get better. Feel free to email me any time, I'm happy to have an email friend! royalkrasm@gmail.com.
Good luck, Rachel! You deserved to win (after my sister, of course, but I'm biased, hehe), but you don't need a makeover to prove your incredible worth.

Stephanie said...

Hope I didn't seem bossy, Hilary! Thanks for being such an awesome friend to Rachel!