When Annie finished her lunch today, I asked Ellie if she wanted what was left over (Ellie had already had thirds, but was still acting hungry). "Mo, mo" she laughed as she enthusiastically signed 'more' over and over and over again. Annie looked at me, with wide eyes and said, "Well I suppose someone is hungry!" I laughed and agreed. A few seconds later, Annie turned back to me and asked, "I used 'suppose' right, didn't I? That was the right word? What exactly does suppose mean?" I assured her she'd used it perfectly, and we talked about how else it could be used and what it means. It made me proud to see her take a stab at a word she wasn't 100% sure on. This is my kid who when learning to talk, would quietly mutter a word over and over again, sometimes for days, before she'd loudly say it for the 'first' time once she knew she'd perfected it. She doesn't like to be wrong, or to sound like she doesn't know what she's talking about, so I was impressed at her using language she wasn't 100% sure about.
Earlier in the meal Annie'd been counting, to some arbitrary number she'd chosen. Upon finishing, she triumphantly cheered, "And I was correct!" I love watching a three year old experiment with words -- when "I was right" would've worked just as well, and been the 'easier' word, they just seem to try and reach for new ways to say the same things.
3 comments:
That's awesome that's she's trying new words. Is it strange that it doesn't even surprise me to hear her say stuff like, "I suppose. . . "? She's just such a smarty :)
You and Greg must talk like English Lit professors all day long! ;)
Annie's vocabulary blows me away. She is going to be reading War and Peace in first grade. Love it!
Post a Comment