Saturday, April 17, 2010

More of the Outdoors

We've spent more time outside, and have been loving it! It's been a crazy busy week, where we've just out and doing things most of the day . . . which has been so much fun, although a bit exhausting (mainly for me) . . . the one big drawback though is that Ellie has given up every single afternoon nap this week (her normally nearly two hour nap for the day) and replaced them with 20-30 minute snoozes while in the van, then waking up bright and refreshed and ready to go again. Until about 5-6:00PM, when she turns into a tiny crazy person due to sheer exhaustion. (And don't think I haven't tried to get her to nap after her pathetic 20 minute van cat nap -- most afternoons I've stuck her in her crib for an hour or so, and not once has she managed to fall back asleep.)

We went to the zoo on Thursday morning -- the kids had so much fun looking at all the animals and playing on the playground. They were extremely disappointed that the bears are no longer at the zoo anymore (apparently they live in Oregon or something right now, while the zoo is building new enclosures.) And Annie would tell anyone who'd listen about how the zebras are both dead, and how the baby giraffe died. But, fortunately, the penguins were back on display, and the baby elephant was adorable per usual, so it all evened out for her.
By far and away, my childrens' favorite part of the zoo is the water ball. They'd play here the whole time if I let them. Instead, we always save it as the last thing we do, then once they're good and soaked, we bypass the gift shop and head straight for the van.
Then this afternoon we met Greg's parents, and sister Andrea, out at Thanksgiving Point to walk around the gardens for the Tulip Festival. It was such a beautiful afternoon, and the kids had so much fun. I'd been worried after going all week long, I'd get tired walking around the huge gardens, but I felt great -- especially with a whole handful of other people there to carry the kids when they got tired, or pull the wagon the entire time. I got to be very lazy and just enjoy the flowers and the weather. :-)

Here's Ellie and Grandma Ruth looking at the stream from over one of the little bridges that Ellie loved so much.Ellie loved running around up on the stage in the outdoor amphitheater area.
Annie was a bit of a ham too; dancing, posing and running around with her sister.
Ellie showing off her skills on stage.
Ellie got to help Grandma take pictures of Annie, and it was probably the happiest she'd been all day!

Annie putting back on her shoes. Her hair is getting so long! Never in my entire life has my hair been as long as hers has gotten . . .
Ellie checking out the falls while perched up on Aunt Andrea's shoulders.
Grandma, Daddy and Annie over the falls.
Ellie pointing out stuff to Grandpa.
Ellie and Grandpa again.
The snake Annie and I saw. (We also saw a great horned owl, I just forgot to get pictures of it!)
Annie admiring the tulips. When I asked her what her favorite part had been (fully expecting something about rolling down the hills in the amphitheater, or the waterfalls), she told me it was these pretty pink, orange and purple flowers right at the end of our walk.
Annie would get right down there to smell the flowers.
Grandpa & Ellie again.
Annie, Aunt Andrea and Ellie as tulips. Ellie was less enthused at this point, but both girls were pretty ready to call it a night by then.

It was gorgeous -- and we're going again next week with friends, and now that I know that all that walking just felt great and not exhausting, I'm looking even more forward to it!


Here's a couple videos of the girls playing in the amphitheater area -- Annie rolling down the hills looks exhausting, and they both have mad dance skills. :-)


2 comments:

Jessi said...

Annie's hair is so long, and it is still so curly. She is so lucky! (Although she will probably hate it one day....ironic)

Looks like a fun week. I am glad you have been enjoying the weather. We took Piper on two walks today, because we could not resist being outside.

Shannon said...

I love the Tulip Festival! We went yesterday and it was gorgeous. We are going again next week too so that Ian can come with us. Annie's hair is getting really long. I can't imagine how long it is wet!