Saturday, April 10, 2010

How Much!?

So, we just bought almost 300 pounds of wheat today.

Sounds excessive, right? I would've thought so too, but we realized two things today. 1.) Macey's caselot sale is going on, and they have buckets of wheat for $12.98 or something like that, which is a good $10 less than normal. (We also bought Vital Wheat Gluten and Dough Enhancer much cheaper than normal -- two useful things for breadmaking -- an art I'm just starting to delve into.) And 2.) Greg and I just noticed today that we've gone through 45 lbs a week in a little less than three months. THREE MONTHS. FORTY FIVE POUNDS! I had no idea. I got my wheat grinder for Christmas, and it took us a couple weeks to get around to setting it up, not to mention we still had wheat flour on hand we'd purchased in the past, so we didn't get going with it right away. Then, to add to my cluelessness of our wheat consumption, Greg actually runs most of the wheat through the grinder on Saturday mornings when he makes us whole wheat waffles, while I'm upstairs getting ready or entertaining the girls, so I had never noticed the bucket steadily emptying.

I'm amazed we went through so much though. I mean, I make bread once a week or so. Just one loaf, in the automatic breadmaker (that's as tricky as I get). We still buy most of our bread at the store, for stuff like toast and sandwiches; I just make it so we have something warm and tasty to spread butter and jam on for a snack now and then. Greg makes us waffles, and his amazing whole wheat pizza dough. And the occasional dinner rolls. And I use it if I make cookies with the girls or something, we've tried to replace white flour (at least half of it) in any baking we do. But really, it never felt like that much. If I ever got with my whole 'make all our own bread' crazy dream, who knows how much we'd go through, what with the almost daily french toast, toast or sandwiches my girls down. So, for the first time in my life, 300 pounds of wheat just doesn't sound that crazy anymore.

6 comments:

Lisa V. said...

You're my hero. Besides the fact that wheat is like the mormon food storage staple, you're actually using it! I just can't bring myself to, I hate whole wheat. I buy whole wheat bread for Tristan, and then white bread for me. At least he'll be a little healthier than me.

Jackie H said...

I have always failed with bread. Always. However I learned about Pantry Secrets bread at homemaking, and now I EASILY make all of our bread, pizza dough, dessert braids, calzones, cinnamon rolls, and tons of other stuff with this totally easy recipe. The best part is that you can't mess it up. It rises and is perfect every time. The best thing to do is get the DVD. And one of the ingredients is a little tricky to find, but other than that, you'll love it. It take ONE HOUR start to finish---and finish means out of the oven and eating. I love it. Check it out, it will simplify your life:
http://www.pantrysecrets.net/

Let me know what you think.

Jessi said...

Wow! That is a lot of wheat!

Christen said...

Love the Whole Wheat!!!making bread is fun. wholewheat Blueberry pancakes are one of our favs!!! we also like wholewheat oatmeal cookies!! Yum

Talina said...

So David and I ran to Macey's after I talked to you yesterday and bought ourselves some wheat ;)
One of these days we're going to bring some over and make use of your wheat grinder. Prior to that I'm going to need to get your bread recipe from you so that we can actually USE this wheat. I love whole wheat bread and am very excited for this. :)

Shannon said...

That's amazing. I bought one pail of wheat at the case lot sale and it's just going to sit in my garage until I get a wheat grinder (probably for Christmas). Then I'll have to figure out what to do with it. Hope you don't mind if I email you asking for all your best wheat recipes. :)