Monday, December 8, 2008

She's a Sweet Kid

So, there was much internal debate about whether or not to blog the funniest thing Annie said today. My Mom has given me her "people blog about inappropriate things too often, because of the anonymity provided by the internet" speech before. But since the story is fundamentally about the workings of Annie's two year old mind, and not my period, I decided to just write it. And there, I already said it, "period". So just delete this email now Dad, it gets worse from here.

I woke up the other morning with the unhappy realization that for the first time since August of 2005, I needed to get my hands on some feminine protection. And it wasn't something I packed with us for the one month stay here at Greg's parents house, since I wasn't really expecting it this early on with the full time nursing and all. Anyway, after a Rite Aid run I was now more prepared, and as I laid out my clothes and whatnot before my shower this morning, Annie noticed my grabbing a pad from the package and placing it on top of my pile of clothes. She looked at it quizzically and asked, "What that Mommy?"

"Um, that's a pad." Any chance we can leave it at that?

Nope. "What is it for?"

"Well, sometimes Mommy's and other older girls need to wear these inside their underwear, because sometimes they, um, leak." Leak?! That was lame. But probably better than "monthly shed their uterine lining" though, so I figured we'd leave it at that. And Annie seemed cool with it, and went back to watching "Super Why" with no further questions. Maturation discussion 101 was fairly successful, I guess.

About 30 seconds later though, Annie turns to me, and with her warmest, sweetest, most sympathetic smile ever, she says, "It's OK Mommy . . . I wear a diaper too."

11 comments:

Lani said...

oh. my. gosh. THANK YOU for sharing your "inappropriateness" with us!! That was priceless. oh my.

Talina said...

I think you kept it PG. It would be G except any little kid who saw this would immediately put their parents in an equally uncomfortable position of explaining the joke to them.
Annie is such a sweetie.

Michelle said...

It amazes me how smart she is. What other two year old would make that connection?

Makayla Mackie said...

That's so adorable. lol.

Jessi said...

I just almost peed my pants and needed a diaper myself. That is hilarious! Classic Annie!

Shannon said...

That's so funny. I've not had a good answer yet when Weston notices me grabbing a tampon in the bathroom or on our way out the door. My go to solution is to ban him from the bathroom. We are working on the idea of privacy.

Unknown said...

thats classic!! Savannah is 9 and I am now just explaining what it really means to grow up.

Jackie H said...

Although Claire never asked what they were, she has determined all by her own little self that mom wears a diaper too. I have neither confirmed nor denied her accusation.

Bobbi said...

Hahahahahahahahaha! I CANNOT stop laughing!!! Hahahahahaha! That is too cute and funny! Love it!!!

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine saw her little boy playing with a tampon and asked him what he was doing. He said "Just playing with Mommy's fuses!" Kids are so cute.

Talina said...

You need to post a new entry. I need my Annie fix!