So, we're driving, and have been for awhile since all roads in the Salt Lake Valley are covered in deep, deep snow, and apparently all the snow plows are only doing WalMart parking lots or something, 'cause they didn't seem to be shoveling any of the actual roads I've been on the last two days. Not that I'm bitter. Anyway, back to the driving. Annie is in the backseat, chatting with her favorite conversationalist, herself, when I hear this odd 'exchange':
(Oh, and as a refresher, Doh-doo is Annie's imaginary friend she frequently mentions, and Iah is her lesser imaginary friend . . . it's more like Iah is Doh-doo's friend, that he just brings along.)
"Ewww! That's gross!" Annie says, horrified sounding. "Doh-doo licked me!!"
Um, OK.
"Doh-doo," she chastises, "Don't lick me. I like you, we are friends. Don't lick me."
Um, OK.
"Plus, Doh-doo, you are married to Iah!"
Ohhhh-kay. That's just odd. I told Greg, "At least we don't have to worry about her hooking up with this Doh-doo guy," to which Greg responded, "I'm MORE worried now! He's MARRIED!"
Annie amused me endlessly on our hellish drive down Bangerter though. She talked on the phone with her Aunt Talina for a little bit, and her side of the conversation had me cracking up. (Greg was less amused.)
"Yeah, we got stuck. Like three times."
"I think it was Daddy's fault."
"Yeah, our car was stuck in the snow."
"Daddy got our car stuck. We couldn't go."
"Yeah, he's crazy!"
Greg grumbled, "She never mentions the part where Daddy got us out of it!"
Awhile later she suddenly shouted out, "We on babeiter!"
"What, baby?" I asked, confused by the new, incomprenhsible word.
"Babe-it-er! We on babeiter!"
"What are you saying sweetheart?"
"BABEITER!"
"Um, OK. Yeah, you're right."
About 15 seconds later . . . "OH! On BANGERTER! We're driving on Bangerter! That's right!"
The fact my two year old recognizes stretches of road, and can name them, kinda blows me away.
Towards the beginning of our drive, we'd stopped to fill our gas tank (pretty much because after it had taken us like 7 or 8 minutes just to turn out of my parent's neighborhood, I was now pretty paranoid that we were gonna end up in a ditch, run out of gas and freeze to death (despite spending the majority of our drive on a major highway with countless other vehicles; but none of them were going to stop for us, you stop on these kinda roads, and you might never get going again!) So, anyway, I wanted a full tank for the drive.) Once we were within a few blocks of our house, we stopped off at another gas station to fill up a small gas can for Greg's new snow blower (more on that in a second). As soon as we pulled up, Annie, confused and thinking we are most definitely idiots said, "You guys! We JUST got gas! We don't need more yet!"
In addition to filling up gas multiple times on one car trip, we are also doing other things to help stimulate the economy. We are the proud new owners of a snow blower. It was our one big purchase the day after Christmas (it wasn't even on sale though, so I found it very unsatisfying!) After everyone getting stuck, repeatedly, in our driveway on Christmas, plus the nearly two feet of snow we still needed to tackle on our sidewalks, and after Greg spent 45 minutes digging out our gutter (since there was like three feet of snow the plows had pushed up, leaving our car out in the narrowly plowed streets until he nearly killed his back moving chunks of ice around), Greg woke up first thing this morning, drove to Home Depot and bought us snow blower. A really nice one. Not quite the cadillac of snow blowers, but it's up there. Once we got home tonight (luckily in one piece, no thanks to Bangerter Highway and it's several attempts to kill us . . . Greg'll say I'm being overly dramatic, but I think not), Greg got to work on our walks and the new snow fall on our driveway (since it's NEVER going to END!) He came in after about an hour and said, "There's a problem with the snow blower." My heart sank, this thing cost more than three or four of the small home improvement projects I wanted done! He then broke into a grin, "I ran out of snow!" He was like a kid at Christmas (or adult male with a cool new toy on the day after Christmas in this case) . . . I'm really surprised he's not out there right now finding people who haven't shoveled to dig out. Except that now he's downstairs making fudge with his cool new saucier pan and candy thermometer he got for Christmas, so the big toy'll wait 'til tomorrow. We'll most likely have more snow to plow then.
Oh, and to end things, here's an excerpt from Annie's prayer tonight (which she said all on her own, completely unprompted, 'cause that's how she rolls these days):
"Thank you for this fun day. Thank you that we got to see family, and play with my kitchen set, and see Karine and Robert (that's my parents first names, she's big into everyone's first names right now, even saying, "Hey Hilary, can I have some of your water," the other day.) Thank you we go to see Grandma Verla. Thank you we got to go to the hospital. [LONG pause, scrunched up look on face. Realization dawns]. Oh wait. That wasn't today. We didn't go to the hospital. That was something else." Maybe you had to be there for it, but that totally cracked me up.
4 comments:
I did enjoy mine and Annie's phone conversation on your drive home. She was pretty funny though I should admit it was me who kept saying, "Tell Daddy he's a crazy driver. Tell him he drives crazy." I'm glad you can understand Annie-ese enough to translate that cause when she finally DID repeat it, I could barely pick out the word crazy, and only 'cause I knew that was what she was saying.
Such fun stories! I love hearing about all of your adventures. I must say, though, I'm just a teeny big jealous about the snow! I don't know that I'd necessarily want to drive down Bangerter in it, but if we could've just had a big pile of snow to play in for just one afternoon, that would've made my kids' Christmas! It was freezing the whole week before Christmas, and we were all getting our hopes up that there would be snow, but then it suddenly got warm and we were wearing t-shirts outside on Christmas day!!! I guess it worked out though since the kids got scooters for Christmas. Anyway, I miss the snow...a little.
Amen to there being a complete and utter lack of snowplows on BANGERTER! What the heck? It's only the most major road on the West side! Lame. Anyway, congrats on the snow blower. We are jealous. BTW Annie is hilarious!
I miss the snow for about a day and when I hear of how much fun you are all having, I think to myself, I get to go to the beach . Mind you here the houses are cold, we may not get snow but they do not have central heating. Nothing like waking up and seeing your breath.
Post a Comment