Dear Daylight Savings,
You were supposed to help me out here, dude. As my kids have slowly transitioned to going to bed at 9PM instead of 8:00 or even earlier, I kept just waiting for you to come. "Daylight savings will save us, our kids will go down at 8 or earlier again," Greg and I would tell ourselves. And as the kids have been sleeping a little later (8AM or even later for Annie), I would think, "I can handle the waking up earlier. It'll just be 7AM like it used to, and then we'll have more time to get ready for preschool so there'll be less stress and yelling of, 'What did you do with your backpack now?!'" and "I told you to get shoes on ten minutes ago!"
I remembered back to Spring, before you made your visit for the season, when my children would sleep from 7:30PM-7:30AM almost every night and our sleep life was perfect (we also didn't have a four month old around, I acknowledge that part isn't your fault). Then you came, and everything was turned on it's head. My kids wouldn't go to sleep until 8:30 or so, and yet still woke up at 7:30 or earlier every morning, as if they had a clock in their heads. They lost an entire hour of sleep that one night and never regained it. I'm not afraid to admit that I blamed you. Exclusively. And rather bitterly. I muttered a few choice things under my breath about your very existence.
But here it was, Fall. You had a chance to redeem yourself Daylight Savings. You really did. I was fully prepared to have the kids up at 7AM again, but I couldn't wait for them to be in bed before 9PM and to gain that hour of precious evening time for Greg and I to talk like adults and not have to yell stuff in the direction of our daughters' room like, "You've already had three drinks, you're just going to pee through your diaper!" or "I've already kissed all your dolls, just go to sleep!" or "If you two don't stop talking, one of you will have to go sleep in the bathroom!"
Call me naive, but I was hopeful. Couldn't wait for your arrival again.
You screwed me over Daylight Savings -- I don't know how you did it, but my kids went to bed after 9:15 last night, and Ellie was up at 6-freaking-30. You accomplished nothing.
Thanks a lot for that.
Sincerely,
Not-Your-Biggest-Fan,
Hilary
4 comments:
My boys were up at 5am yesterday and 5:25am today. They went to bed at 8:30pm both of the previous nights. IT IS NOT FAIR.
I really, really, really, REALLY hate Daylight Savings.
Awe .. I'm sorry. I too was hoping for an earlier bed time and it didn't happen at my house either. Just doesn't seem very fair at all! Perhaps it was a fluke and we'll all be magically surprised tonight!
Quinn did not notice at all, and adjusted without incident. The one advantage of having a baby who doesn't care about eating!
Blah. I was hoping it might solve some of Davin's sleep/waking up too early issues too, but instead it's been worse. He went to bed at 9:45pm on Saturday night, was up at 5:30am Sunday morning, didn't take a nap on Sunday. Didn't take a nap again today. Yikes. My fingers are triple crossed that he sleeps all the way through the night tonight and takes a nap tomorrow. Cause I need it!
PS-It was good to see you at the zoo on Saturday. Sorry I couldn't stop to chat longer. :)
Post a Comment