Friday, November 12, 2010

Mr. Big Stuff

Isaac had his four month appointment yesterday.  He weighed in at 16.31 lbs -- dropping him from the 96th to the 75th percentile on weight.  At first the doctor was concerned that he'd dropped 'so far' on the charts, until she looked at him and realized that he put on nearly 2 lbs. in 2 months.  The kid is fine.  We know where some of his weight is going though -- at 25.7", he's now at the 93rd percentile for height.  Wow.  I don't think either of the girls have ever been over 30th percentile!  He's definitely tall.  The measurements were enough to finally convince me that I really do need to get a bunch of this 3-6 month stuff put away and get out the 6-9 month stuff already.  I'm starting to panic about larger cold weather clothes, like in a 9-12 month size.  I never in a million years thought he'd get that big that fast, and now I'm suddenly realizing I may very well need clothes that large for this kind of weather.  Three sizes in one cold season -- this is totally opposite of when the girls wore their 6-9 month clothes for a solid year. 

In other news, the girls have colds.  Nothing major, at least not at first.  But poor Annie's asthma has reared its ugly head with the cold and the weather change.  It's been her worst asthma in years, and it's been a bit scary.  Two nights ago, she was coughing at bedtime, so we gave her asthma medicine along with some contraband cough meds, and she fell asleep.  But about an hour or so later woke up coughing.  A lot.  It was so sad to hear her in there, but she was actually sleeping through it (and amazingly, so was Ellie, her cell mate.)  But, the coughs got worse, and all the sudden I heard it:  heaving.  Sure enough, as I ran in there, I saw her repeatedly coughing and throwing up.  I grabbed her out of bed and got her cleaned up while Greg stripped the bed.  I got out her old nebulizer and gave her a breathing treatment (something we hadn't done in years), and she was able to fall back asleep and we never heard from her again that night.  The next night we took a more preemptive approach and gave her a nebulizer treatment during bedtime stories.  We expected it to go much smoother than it had the night before.  But despite having a breathing treatment before bed, two hours later she was coughing so hard she woke up -- and then threw up 4 or 5 times while coughing.  It was pretty much horrible.  We gave her another breathing treatment, which seemed to work until 2:30 or so, then the coughing started again.  We gave her a regular inhaler and she was able to get back to sleep.
It's the worst, and scariest, her asthma's been in a couple years -- we're not looking forward to this winter.

Add to that, I haven't been feeling well, and Greg started complaining about a sore throat last night. 

Ellie's also kinda sick, and she randomly threw up on me yesterday and today she has no voice.  We are doing a LOT of laundry around here. 

Isaac was grumpy after his shots and slept a whole 3 hours when we got home, but other than that he seems to be the healthy one around here.  Which I'm grateful for.  Maybe we'll put him in charge of the care of the rest of us.  This should go well. :-)

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Awe .. I'm sorry to hear about sick kids. Then feeling like you're coming down with something as well on top of it. No fun! I hope it all passes relatively quickly.

Jessi said...

1. Go Isaac! He is so tall! It is funny, Quinn gains about a pound a month and it is not enough ( for the powers that be) so it is nice to see another baby following the same pattern.

2. Poor Annie! That sounds miserable and scary! I hope she starts feeling better soon!

3. Good luck with everything!

Vala said...

I hope everyone feels better soon! Your Isaac and my Isaac appear to be on nearly the same growth pattern within a couple ounces and less than an inch up until now. May your Isaac continue his hugeness. Our Isaac, although we love his tiny little self now, hit a plateau at 9 months 20 lb 8 oz and stayed there for NINE MONTHS. Man...they are just so hard to predict.