Monday, July 12, 2010

Settling In

It's probably good I'm writing this today, and not like two days ago. :-)

I had kinda hit a wall earlier this weekend -- sleep deprivation was setting in, I was shocked that my recovery was still sucking the life out of me (I seemed to hurt worse every day, rather than feeling better), Greg's been sick, the girls have been wired, grumpy and overly tired, and Isaac decided that the only way to sleep at night was in Mom's arms (Said arms would fall asleep and shock Mom awake with their relentless tingling). At one point Greg took him out of the room for 40 minutes so I could get some sleep, and Isaac fussed and cried the entire time. I finally called to Greg, "Hon, just bring him into me, I'll try nursing him again . . ." Greg came in, laid my baby in my arms, and Isaac was out like a light. Like in two seconds flat. He just wanted Mom. This was both heart warming and terrifying all at the same time. :-) I love holding him and cuddling and nursing him during the night -- the problem is I haven't relearned to sleep with a tiny squeaking human being in bed with me, so for now it keeps me awake the majority of the time. And dude, I need some sleep.

The good news though -- today the pain is less, I feel better than I have, Annie went to bed at 7PM last night, and the munchkin slept in his bassinette next to our bed in between every feeding. More importantly, this means I slept between each feeding. And these feedings were a good 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours apart. And he slept in 'til 8AM. (But unfortunately did not send the memo on to his sisters, who were both awake at 6:45AM -- but it was awesome to play with the girls and do breakfast without the baby needing my attention too.) He has more and more awake time during the day, and I could just spend hours staring into his big eyes and making stupid faces and talking in stupid voices to him.

My family also made it home safely from vacation, and all got to meet Isaac yesterday. That was awesome. (Star made the best lunch for all of us too -- I could get used to other people feeding my kids and I all the time!) I took pictures and all that, but they're on my camera still, and since I would have to go get the camera, hook it up to the computer and wait for it to download, it might be a day or so 'til I get those pictures on here . . . :-)

Greg goes back to work tomorrow though -- that should be interesting.

Edited to add: I stole two pics from my sister's facebook from yesterday:
Just one of Isaac looking bigger and older every day --
And just one of my Dad 'bench pressing' my daughters -- they love this game!


5 comments:

Kerry said...

AHH .. he's such a handsome fella! I can totally empathize with the adjustment period. When I first brought Wyland home it was of course around the same time of year and so Baylee was home from school and Jackson was really struggling to adjust. I thought I was going to DIE! It was so hard that first week. I was completely exhausted and I struggle on a little sleep deprivation let alone a lot! You'll all settle back into a routine soon. And Isaac will figure it out too. I can't WAIT for more pictures!!!

Talina said...

I'm so glad that you stole pictures from me. It almost makes up for the dozens of times I've stolen pictures from you :)
He really is adorable and I loved playing with all of your kids yesterday. David and I will have to bring you guys dinner another time so we can see them again. :)

Jessi said...

hooray for new cute babies. boo to a lack of sleep. I am glad last night was better, and that your family got into town to snuggle the new little guy!

Lani said...

I always hit the wall around day three postpartum. Ugh! I'm glad you're getting a little more sleep. I wish I could have come up and visited you guys. This trip has been crazy. And then I didn't want to risk getting you guys sick in case my "food poisoning" was really a bug. We head home tomorrow, but I'll be thinking of you and praying for you!! Hugs!

Ashley said...

Oh I totally feel for you. I am in the same boat. Logan will not sleep if I am not holding him. It doesnt matter how long his is asleep before you try and put him down. The second you do his eyes pop right open and he starts screaming. The one night that he actually stayed in bed Dallin was up throwing up so I still didnt get any sleep. I would say that its going to get better soon but I am on week 7 now and its still the same lol. Hang in there its hard work having two kids and so I cant even imagine 3.... He sure is a sweet baby and once you get used to the sleep deprivation it will all be worth it lol good luck