Friday, July 16, 2010

Small World

I keep meaning to do an update -- with pictures and answers to lots of questions we've gotten about Isaac and our adjustment and his birth, etc.

But, Ellie just went down for a nap, and Annie's over playing with Grandpa at the Splash Park, and Isaac is still sleeping, and I'm gonna lay down and watch an episode of "Veronica Mars" while it's quiet . . . but I wanted to share one quick 'it's a small world' story about Isaac's birth.

Many of you know that my parents live just a few blocks from us. In Utah Mormon-dom, this means they live in the next Ward over. In my parent's Ward, my Mom spent 6 months being the 'birthday cookie person' . . . meaning she delivered a big cookie as a present whenever a woman in the Ward had a birthday. Months and months ago, she was over dropping off a cookie at a woman's house, and they got into a conversation. Turns out the woman was a labor and delivery nurse at the closest hospital. My Mom told her I was planning on delivering there, and maybe she'd introduce us beforehand, on the off chance she was there and my nurse whenever I delivered. She'd mentioned this to me, but I hadn't given it much thought until last night, when I was driving home from the hospital (after visiting my Mom, who was recovering (quite well) from surgery), through the part of my neighborhood that is part of my Mom's Ward. And I suddenly remembered a conversation with the nurse who delivered Isaac, an hour or so before he was born. I hadn't given it another thought until last night (since most of what I remember about that night, and my nurse, was the delivery), but we'd gotten into a conversation about where we lived, and were surprised to find out that Becky (the nurse) lived really close to me. Like, just two-streets-over-close. And last night it finally hit me (I'm slow) that Becky is the same nurse my Mom had talked to all those months ago.

So now my Mom is very excited now to go to Church on Sunday (although, not this Sunday, she did just have a hysterectomy after all) and find Becky and thank her for delivering her first grandson.

Small world, huh?

4 comments:

Talina said...

I love small world moments.
I hope you enjoyed your Veronica Mars moment without your kids. I may even forgive you for not posting a single picture of ANY of your children on here. . . maybe. :)

Kerry said...

lol .. you have to grab those moments when you can. With 3 kids they'll come far and few between. I have missed your almost daily updates :o) But you have a good reason so all is forgiven.

Lani said...

That is really cool!!

Jessi said...

I find that the world is small, Utah is even smaller, and I am guessing your end of the valley might be even smaller. Crazy!