Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Lots o' Baby Pictures

So -- I'm finally getting around to another question. How much does Isaac look like his sisters?
They all had about the same amount of hair (which is not that much) -- and it was all pretty equally dark. All three have their Daddy's ears. When Isaac was born, he reminded me of Ellie. Not that they looked just alike, but that his face was shaped more like hers. And his lips are more like Ellie's lips, the top lip tends to be more prominent (whereas it was Annie's bottom lip that showed up more in most of her pictures). His eyes are way bluer than either of theirs ever have been -- the girls both had eyes that were much more gray than blue, whereas his are more blue than gray. Who knows what'll happen with that though?

Here are Ellie pictures from the first three weeks:





Here's some Annie pictures from that first several weeks:



(OK, so that last one might've been a little bit photoshopped. But not much, this basically was the first 4-5 months at our house after Annie was born.) :-)

And here's Isaac's in the first few weeks:






So, I don't really know how much they look alike -- I really am the world's worst person at figuring out who babies look like. I think they look like siblings though. Holding him and nursing him is very deja vu-ish at times.

Another question I've gotten (look at that, two in one day! I'm an overachiever!) is what it's like having a little boy?
He makes my heart melt. I mean, all my kids did, but I think there really may be something different to the whole 'mother/son' thing I've heard so much about. Annie and Ellie loved me, and I could hold and cuddle them for hours. But when they were pissed, they needed Daddy to swoop in and calm them down. He could swaddle, rock and shush way better than Mom ever could. My trump card was that I could nurse them, but there was no denying that Greg was better at calming them down through non-being-a-pacifier means. Isaac though -- this kid loves me. And not just for my milk. :-) In the middle of the night, when he's fussy and swaddling and rocking just aren't cutting it, he will instantly fall asleep when Greg puts him in my arms. He doesn't even want to nurse, he just wants me to hold him. I love it.
It is different having a boy after two girls, it's taken some mental adjustment. But I haven't tried to call him 'princess' in over a week. :-)
He has also been much calmer and a better sleeper than the girls -- apparently boys are less drama from the get-go. :-)
I've only been peed on a few times. He can definitely get more distance -- but he has nothin' on Annie. That kid peed on us every time we opened up a diaper. And even without any special equipment, that girl could pee a good 12-18 inches. Isaac on the other hand seems to save all his pee for his diapers -- which overflow and flood out his outfit and blankets at least once a day, despite us changing his diaper every 2 hours or so. The child has amazing bladder capacity.

I'm gonna go for a third and final question for the day -- How are the girls adjusting?
Annie and Ellie LOVE Isaac. They love to hold him and cuddle him and kiss him. They both kiss him at least a hundred times a day. They're smitten. Ellie LOVES to come help me burp him . . . I'd prefer she not want to come and constantly smack him on the back. She gets mad at how often I stop her from using him to help her get up from a seated position -- apparently Mom is quite mean in not letting her lean her entire body weight into his stomach.
So, they love him.
Life in general -- they're less happy about. Nothing major, just a lot more whining and crying than we're used to (or that Mom has a lot of patience for right now.) Ellie's a major Daddy's girl, and follows him around the house whenever he's home. She freaks out over the littlest thing, and the two fight over every little thing right now. Sigh. Annie's got more attitude and sass than any 4 year old has a right to possess -- and although we don't let her get away with talking back, we're trying not to make a big deal out of it, hoping once life settles into more of a normal rhythm some of it will disappear. (Let's hope.)
Annie has been quite helpful though -- if I'm nursing when Ellie and Annie wake up, Annie will go downstairs and get yogurt out to tide Ellie over until I can come downstairs to fix a real breakfast. (Ellie has to eat within 10 minutes of waking up or so, or she freaks out. The child can't go long without food.) They will both go and get me diapers, bringing me anything I need, and even help put away the laundry, unload the dishwasher, or clean up our rooms.
They're fighting bedtime even more than normal, if that's even possible. Ellie can spend a good 2 hours in bed at night without falling asleep. Poor Annie has to fall asleep listening to her little sister blab and talk and cry and sing and shriek and freak out and laugh and chatter for hours at a time.
I keep telling myself things'll go back to normal (or reach some new normal) sometime in the not-too-distant future. Right?

8 comments:

Jessi said...

Isaac looked like Ellie to me when he was born, but I am not the best of being able to pick out features or tell who looks like who.

I am glad the girls are loving on him, and I hope the adjustment period is quick and painless.

Hilary said...

Yeah Jess, I always saw a lot of Ellie in him from the beginning too -- I really think it was the face shape for me. Annie probably looks the most 'different' than the other two. Although, it's not like any of them look terribly different from each other!

Talina said...

I see more of Ellie than Annie in him, though they all look ridiculously alike. And I think I see a little Cody in Isaac, but that just may be that Cody is the only male Christensen to compare him to :) (Not to mention that all baseball baby clothes remind me of Cody).

Kerry said...

lol .. two of those questions I had asked this morning. I felt like you were talking just to ME! lol .. not really. I'm sure I wasn't the only to ask. I totally agree with the Mother/Son thing. It's just different. Something very special about it. Both my boys were total mama's boys from the get go. Although because Jackson has always been SO attached to me, Wyland has almost been forced to attach more to Jeramie in some ways. You mention the girls fighting more. Since our kids are SO close in age I thought I would mention that I have noticed the exact same thing with my boys. Lots of fighting lately. Not sure if it's good for you to know it might not be the baby or not. lol. Do your girls hit eachother though?! Oh my! It's driving me crazy.

Fig said...

I think he looks like his daddy. :-)

Ashley said...

oh yeah that 4th pic of Ellie looks just like Isaac. And its so true about the mother son bonding time. David gets mad somedays and I think takes it personal that he cant calm the boys down like I can. Dallin was a big mamas boy but now that he is almost 5 and a "grown up" he doesnt need me so much.. Thats what he thinks lol But Logan is also a huge mamas boy and wants me to hold him all day and night. This would be great except for the fact that I cant get much done ever. I cant even count the times that I have had to put him in a baby sling so that I can make dinner or finish cleaning the house lol... I dont know what its like to have girls but I do love being needed so much by my little guys and it only gets better :)

Hilary said...

Kerry - oh heck yeah they've been smackin' each other left and right lately! Every time I turn around one of them has hit the other -- driving me nuts! I feel for ya!

Lani said...

So true about the mother-son thing! They really do just melt your heart, huh? Sigh.