Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Hospital, Again

Annie woke up in the early morning hours for the second night with a 102-103 degree temperature and very rapid, shallow breathing.  The night before we gave her Tylenol and a breathing treatment and she was doing better really quickly.  Well, not this time.  After breathing treatments and an extra dose of Ventolin, she was still breathing VERY rapidly and it was raspy.  So, I packed her into the van and took her to the E.R.  We got there and found she was around 90 on her oxygen.  So, they suctioned her out (the most horrible, evil thing ever -- it was BAD when they did it to Isaac, it was horrific when they swaddled Annie in a large sheet, the nurse and I held her down, and they shoved tubes down both nostrils while hooked up to a vacuum.  It makes me shudder just thinking about it again.)  Then gave her steroids, a dose of Motrin (since her temperature was still 101) some other drug and then hooked her up to another breathing treatment.  We then got chest x-rays.  At this point, because it was now morning, and children always seem to be their sickest during the night then suddenly seem fine during the day, she was perking up a bit.  Her oxygen stayed right around 93, but the asthma was cleared up and it was just the virus at this point.  She was also very happy about her TWO new teddy bears (one from the respiratory person who'd suctioned her, and one from our sweet nurse) and a new Winnie the Pooh book and several stickers and a coloring book.  She feels like she made out like a bandit, but since I had just signed a $100 bill, they just felt like very expensive cheap teddy bears to me.  :-)  But she was quite proud of herself, and would tell anyone who came in the room that she got a new teddy bear because she was so very brace.  Anyway, they came in after her x-ray and said it definitely looks like RSV and possibly some atypical pneumonia (something Annie's had in the past and cleared up fine with antibiotics).  They let us come home after the ER doctor talked to Annie's pediatrician this morning and it was agreed we'd bring her in to be checked out again this afternoon (or if she gets any worse before then). 

So, we're home now.  My Mom did my dishes this morning while watching my kids, which makes her awesome.  It cost me $100, but I did get out of dishes and she took out the diapers. 

We'll see how today goes, and in theory, we should be getting past RSV in our house sooner or later . . .

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Oh my goodness Hilary! You guys deserve a break...let's exile winter! And then you should take a very long exotic vacation. Best wishes and let me know if you need anything!!!

Jessi said...

Ninja boo (which I believe is boo times 11) to more sickness. I am glad you are all home now!

Vala said...

Sounds like your whole fam needs a good dosage of Hawaii! I hope this is the last of the nasty illnesses!

Kerry said...

I'm so sorry! Taking a four year old in for the same thing that Oliver and Issac went through sounds SOOO awful. You really have my sympathy. At least with our babies they forget and don't hold it against us (at least that's what I tell myself). But a four year old I just can't even imagine. I really hope that was your last visit to the hospital for awhile. What a scary couple of weeks you've had. It's so terrifying feeling like your kids are struggle to do something as simple as breathe.