Wednesday, February 23, 2011

At Least One of Us is Mobile . . .

Health update:  Greg and I are pretty much on the mend.  Annie is off on a preschool field trip.  That kid could not possibly be any more excited about FINALLY getting to leave the house.  I can only imagine how she feels . . . :-)  The two little kids are just having a really rough go of it.  It's breaking my heart (and seriously messing with my sleep), as they wake up nearly hourly throughout the night (and inconveniently, not on the hourly same schedule).  They sound and look just horrible.

But there's one thing I've kept meaning to mention, that I just keep forgetting.  Isaac's mobile now.  He chose this last three weeks of serious illness to really get his butt in gear, and you can't leave the kid in one place anymore and expect him to still be there when you get back.  It isn't really crawling, per se, and it ain't pretty, but that kid can get to anything he wants to now.  A week or so ago, I set him down with some toys in the middle of the front room, and went in to dishes.  Before I even had the dishwasher unloaded, I heard a happy grunt from behind me, and there was Isaac, all the way across the front room and at the edge of the kitchen, happily showing off his forward progression.  For awhile it was a bunch of rolling and wiggling to get where he wants to go in a roundabout way, but now it is full on forward progression.  He spent the whole morning while I was working out, happily moving himself from one side of the room to the other.  Finally interrupting my work out completely (which I was secretly grateful for) when he landed himself smack dab in between my legs.  He can also spend huge chunks of time just sitting there.  All proudly, and a tiny bit wobbly, but upright for a good thirty minutes or so at a time.  Sitting-mobile Isaac is a lot happier as an active participant in life -- but, then again, I can no longer leave the room with any kind of expectation of him being in the same place when I get back.  So, there are trade offs :-)

But at least one of us is getting some exercise.  As for me, I'm just getting back into it after a several week break of craziness and non-fitness.  Am I the only one who watches Jillian Michael thinking, "That doesn't look that hard . . ." and then attempts it for 18 minutes and nearly dies and is grateful when the baby suddenly shows up under their feet and they 'have' to stop to take care of the baby?  It really doesn't look that bad, then you're doing it and thinking, "Holy crap?!  There are muscles there?!"  But, I figure my body needs a few days to get back into it.  I am finally feeling ready to get back into a healthier lifestyle.  My Biggest Loser competition has obviously fallen by the wayside, and I have put back on 1.8 lbs from my lowest weight, but I figure that since my baby has been dealing with RSV for TWENTY THREE FREAKING DAYS now, I'm not going to beat myself up over that.  I keep thinking that by nursing around the clock I should be burning enough calories to keep losing weight . . . but then I remember that my stress-coping-skills have pretty much bottomed out in the 'constantly eat Hershey Kisses' zone, and it becomes clear why I'm not losing.

I figure I'll just follow Isaac's example, and just get moving nonstop, and I'll get back on track in no time . . . 

1 comment:

Ashley said...

ha ha to funny He is going to be crawling in no time. Logan did the whole inch worm crawling for about two weeks and now he will not stay in one place for more then 2 min. Sorry about all the sickness that you have been having its so hard having to deal with it and on top of it having no sleep is the worst. Trust me I know Logan has been up about every two hours for four days in a row now. But I am glad that both my kids are healthy for now:) good luck and after pretty much a month off all this mess you deserve some m&m's....