Thursday, September 9, 2010

Isaac's Two Month Check Up

Well, that was fun.

The whole taking three kids to the doctor's thing. We were about to walk into the exam room when Ellie started shrieking uncontrollably, and eventually had to be carried into the room when coaxing (even with stickers) wouldn't work. Guess someone remembers the shot from last time? She soon figured out this was Isaac's appointment and not hers, and she calmed down. (Little did she know . . . flu shot.)

Isaac was fussy most of the appointment. Probably due to it being smack dab in the middle of nap time. But, everything checked out, and he was deemed 'healthy and huge!' Our doctor was extremely impressed by his size. Upon walking in the room, her first words were, "Wow! He's so TALL!" And, he is. But not as tall as he is heavy. Turns out our little chunker is now in the 96th percentile for weight. At 14.66 lbs. At two months old. (To put that into perspective of what's normal around here -- Ellie was 13 and a half pounds at SIX MONTHS.) No wonder his size two diapers are starting to seem so small. And why in heaven's name do I have any 0-3 months clothes out?! Time to pack up anything small I was even trying to kid myself into believing he could still wear. His height on the charts was actually down, percentage-wise, to 66% from 75% at two weeks old. But, our doctor took one look at the height on the chart today and said, "No way, he's taller than that." But never had him measured again, so who knows?

Not shocking for one of my kids, his head is a hefty 93rd percentile.

Everything else checked out, my kids were declared adorable, and nurses wielding needles started to file into the room. I chose now to explain to the girls they'd be getting flu shots. Poor things flipped the heck out. This may make me evil, but I actually had a hard time keeping a straight face while watching the sheer drama that was spilling out of them. Annie was shrieking, "It hurts! It hurts!" before the nurse even used the alcohol swab. The poor woman was all, "I haven't even touched her yet!" I nodded and said, "You should see when she gets her hair brushed." Annie started to calm down when I set her down on a chair with the bucket of stickers to sort through. (They had one nurse come in and take Isaac during the girls shots so I could tend to them, and so he wasn't freaking out from listening to them.) Next was Ellie. Poor thing was hysterical at this point, from watching and listening to Annie. We got her shot done, and she calmed down in less than a minute or so . . . when the nurse brought in dum dums. Next was the baby. He got his shots, cried for about 10 seconds, then settled down laying against my chest withing seconds of being picked up. Isaac was definitely the champ of getting shots among our kids.

By the time we left, everyone was calmed (and Isaac was sleeping in the sling), and we got outside. Where near-hurricane force winds made the SHORT walk to our vehicle a nightmare. Ellie was shrieking the whole time about the wind, crying and gasping and freaking out. Then she dropped her baby doll. Which proceeded to BLOW AWAY across the parking lot. I was trying to get Ellie out of the middle of the parking lot while trying to chase after it, and fortunately a good samaritan took off after it and brought it back to us after it'd blown half way across the parking lot. THEN Ellie dropped her purse and it took off. Sigh. Eventually, we got all of us into our van, all toys recovered and Ellie finally calmed down. Isaac slept through all of this (and through being taken out of the sling and being strapped into his carseat -- someone was TIRED!) I don't think we're venturing out any more today. Heck, I might even change back into pajama pants, just to assure myself we're done with outings for the day. :-)


Here's some 2-month old pictures of all three kids.
It's interesting to me that despite weighing WAY more than the girls, Isaac seems the least round and chubby to me. He's way taller and more solid than the girls were, but he's never had the same rolls and roundness they seemed to at this age, even though they were a lot smaller.


They do all have the EXACT SAME HAIR though. :-)

3 comments:

Talina said...

I can't believe he is bigger than Ellie was at 6 months. That's awesome.
And I'm impressed with your taking 3 kids to the doctors at once. You are supermom.

Jessi said...

What a big boy!!!!!! I can totally visual the doll/purse/wind storm in my head.... Crazy!!!!!

Howard Family said...

oh boy do I know how it is to take 3 kids to the Dr. I had the worst experience ever last yr. (swear words were involved) Good luck with the outings! lol