Thursday, September 2, 2010

"Gassahoppas? Ere are you?"

I love going on family walks in the evening. The girls pile into our wagon, I get Isaac settled in a sling, and we walk. To the park or to go visit neighbors or just to walk the paths that surround our neighborhood. And now that the weather is perfect for evening walks, we're trying to get as many in as we can. This evening we were walking along some of the paths that separate our neighborhood from the one just west of us, and the girls were admiring the many grasshoppers that were hoppin' along. I told them I used to catch grasshoppers when I was just older than Annie. They were impressed. Annie wanted to know how one goes about capturing a grasshopper. I tried to explain my technique, but ended up just saying, "Let's have Daddy catch us one and just show us!" We'd walk along the path until we spotted one (in the meantime, Ellie was loudly calling out, "Gassa-hoppas? Ere are you?" It was adorable.) Greg would then try (repeatedly) to catch one, but by the time we got home and had scared away all the grasshoppers, we had still never caught one.

Greg is convinced that this generations' grasshoppers are much more quick and wily than the grasshoppers that were around when we were young.

I'm sure that's it. :-)

2 comments:

Jessi said...

Ha! This made me laugh! I used to love catching gassahoppas!

Statham Family Blog said...

This made me smile and remember Kimberly and Shauna out in the backyard with an old mason jar catching grasshoppers. Now Shauna freaks out when she see's one, then I remind her when she was young she use to catch them. Her reply "I don't know how I ever done that" Catch all those fun moments because one day they'll all be grown up and be all GIRL:)