Monday, July 26, 2010

One Out of Three Ain't Bad . . .

The other day my Mom had a chance to talk with the nurse who delivered Isaac. Seems she was very concerned about my 'experience'.

Not labor itself -- she said she was amazed when I was suddenly delivering, as I hadn't been acting about like I was in active labor, let alone transition. That had all gone well. What concerned her was that my baby had been delivered by the nurse (her), and not my midwife. (Although, technically, they hadn't gotten ahold of my midwife anyway, so it was already her partner covering my labor.) Seems that this nurse has seen several patients in similar situations, delivery being handled by a nurse or another doctor, and it's been very upsetting to them to not have their own doctor there for delivery.

The funny thing is it has just become our norm.

I'm one for three on my doctor being there for delivery.

Annie chose her due date to be born -- and it happened to be the one weekend of my entire pregnancy when my doctor was out of town. (One person told us he was fishing or something, another said that he was at a medical conference. I was glad the guy got a vacation every once in awhile, I'd hate to think the only time he got out of town was to go to medical things.) So, a woman I had never met before came in and 'caught' Annie. And it didn't bug me.

Ellie was my only child to be delivered by the doctor I saw during her pregnancy. (He was just there for the last 5 minutes, of course.)

I never thought for it to be upsetting that my midwife hadn't been there for Isaac's delivery. I just needed Greg, myself and the baby -- along with at least one competent medical personnel to handle any issues that may arise. Heck, I was just so glad this baby was finally OUT after waiting nearly a week past my due date for his grand entrance. :-) In fact, it was kinda cool to just have it all happen so quick that delivery was handled by the same woman who'd handled everything else during my brief hospital stay. Plus, it made for a fun and exciting story later on.

So, two out of our three children weren't delivered by the medical professional who'd handled their entire pregnancy. (I still wonder how the medical people involved 'split' my bills among themselves) :-).

My midwife warned Greg and I though -- be ready for Greg to deliver the next one -- with as fast as Isaac came, there's no guarantees that my midwife, doctor or even a nurse will be there in time. :-) She said she hoped Greg had taken notes. :-)

4 comments:

Jessi said...

Quinn was delivered by a doctor I had just met that morning, and a resident who had been working with us all week long. I loved that resident. And medical student Beau was there too, we loved him as well. I didn't really mind that my midwife was not there (I knew she wouldn't be by that point anyway) or that my new doctor. I just wanted Quinn safe.

Missy said...

Interesting post. In Finland you see a midwife for all of your checkups, but they tell you upfront that the baby will be delivered by whomever is on staff that day. So knowing that I just planned to have my husband and hoped that whomever was there that day spoke English! It all turned out fine.

Kerry said...

I've had all my babies delivered by my doctor. I suppose with Baylee I was lucky since she was unexpected, since the others were planned I knew he'd be there. However, I'm not sure I'd care either way. At that point I don't think you necessarily notice who's there. Especially given a c-section situation there are a LOT of people there, all but one being a stranger! lol. Your mind is so focused on your baby that I just don't think it really matters who else is there other than your spouse of course.

Lani said...

Maybe you better just plan to stay home next time? ;-)