Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Stupid Sears

Back in mid-April, I found this killer deal on a new stroller and carseat for the baby online at Sears. It was almost half off, and the brand and pattern I wanted. I was so excited. So, I ordered it, they charged my credit card the next day, and I waited for the email notification that my items were ready to be picked up at the store. And then I waited. Waited some more. I was really patient, because the online order status said it'd be almost a month. But, about six weeks later, I emailed them and asked where my item was, since they'd, you know, had my money for well over a month now. I mentioned that since I'm due in the next month, I'm kind of on a time line here. I got an email that told me basically that according to my online account the order was obviously in processing, and I just needed to be patient. It didn't address a time line whatsoever. I was annoyed by the general tone of the email, it seemed a bit condescending and rude, but didn't want to go all pregnant-woman-postal on them just 'cause I was reading something into the email that hadn't meant to be there. I did email them back and basically said that I had, in fact, been quite patient and I really was expecting my items by now so I could get things ready for the baby, and the fact they had my money for well over a month while I had no items in hand seemed a bit unfair for them to be asking me to be patient with what is obviously a ridiculous amount of time to be waiting for an already paid for item. The next day I received another email that informed me that upon further examination they've realized they are out of the item and they apologize for any inconvenience. (I like how whoever checked it the day before didn't notice the item was out of stock when they so sweetly just told me to be more patient). The email said to call and see if they could arrange a substitution. I called and asked if they could substitute the item for something else, they refused (so why mention it in the first place?), but they'd happily give me 10% off another item. I asked when I could expect my money back. "5-7 business days," I was told. Ugh. They were able to charge my card within 12 hours of my initial purchase, but of course it'll take a week to return the money they've had interest free for 7 weeks now. And now it's been a week, and Sears is still happily holding onto my money and I have no carseat and stroller for the baby I'm expecting in the next few weeks. Good times.

Edited to add: I'm now a little nervous I'm never seeing this money again, as I checked my online account with Sears, and it's showing this order as 'in process' still, and not canceled like they told me it was a week ago . . .

6 comments:

Lani said...

Lame! :-(

Jessi said...

oh man! What a pain....I hate it when you are dealing with some person on the phone/email, and they are incapable of rational/logical thought. I once spent hours on the phone with the cable company explaining why we were overcharged, and they could never explain their point of view clearly, because it made no sense, and each person had a different explanation!

Kerry said...

It may be time to go pregnant-woman-postal on them! Call and immediately ask for a manager. Don't deal with the first person that answers the phone, you'll get the same run around. Good luck!

Howard Family said...

im sorry for that, I would call for a manager as well. especially if its just to get your money back! I ordered and paid for a power wheels thing for owen the yr i was having xavier and paid for it to be assembled and when i came to pick it up it wasnt ready so I said I would come back by the time i got home i had a call telling me they didnt have any (2 workers before verified they had them when i paid for it) so they told me to come back to toys r us and pick something new. I kindly told them i didnt want something else and to check around the country for another one they told me they had been discontinued. the manager insisted I get something better for the same price.. I had paid like 150 for my thing and ended up getting the $450.00 power wheel plus a warranty for the same price. Best thing ever.

Lisa V. said...

I would start a complaint with your credit card company, usually there is a 90 days limit to make a claim and then you are out of luck, just explain to your card company what's going on, and they refund the money to your card and then go to battle with the retailer to get their money back.

Anonymous said...

That's Sears for ya! On a lighter note... You really didn't want that stroller/baby bucket setup anyway -- There is a reason you didn't end up with it.

P.S. I'm not a crazy wierdo person that stalks people. I know your wonderful family -- You are great people!