Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Dramatic Much, Part 2

So, my last post was about Ellie's dramatic use of the word forever or ever (or 'ev-ah' in Ellie speak).

I got another example!  Today, her best little friend was over in the morning, riding bikes and playing in the sandbox and all that, but apparently, they had a falling out.  I didn't even catch what it was about.  But, on the drive to Target that afternoon, Ellie informed me, "Kate was not nice to me, we are NOT friends any more.  Not eva!  Not eva, eva, eva, EVA!  You not be mean to friends, so we not friends eva more!  Not eva, eva, EVA, EVA, EVA!  She say mean things to me, so not eva, eva, eva friends again!"  (Seriously, this starts at TWO?!) I tried to calm her down a bit, talking about how sometimes friends just get upset at each other and once we apologize (and Annie added, "and forgive each other!") we go right back to being good friends again.  (It should be stated here, that Ellie is no angel -- her and her cute little best friend Kate butt heads regularly, and from what I've seen, it's at least 50/50 of who's behind the drama, if not a bit 'Ellie leaning' if you're looking for fault.) 

Ellie thinks about this for a second, then sighs and says more calmly, "OK Mom, if Kate says sorry, then we be friends again," then adding emphatically, "But if NOT, then we NEVA, EVA, EVA, EVA friends again FOREVA!"  Dramatic much, my little munchkin?  Dang, girls are crazy.  (They then played the entire afternoon, totally best friends again and it was all forgotten . . . until they got into a fight again before it was time for Kate and her sister to go home . . . sigh . . . I can't let Ellie be around friends unsupervised if she's hungry or tired, she gets all sensitive and moody!)

Have I mentioned how excited I am for them to be teenagers one day?  Where these 'we'll never, ever, ever, ever, EVER be friends again' fights will happen on whatever-the-facebook-equivilent-will-be-in-12-years-or-so.  Relatedly, I was thinking of my own Junior High drama, and was thanking my lucky stars there was no real social media at the time.  That would've been brutal!  Poor kids these days!

No comments: