OK, not a witch doctor. :-) A week ago today, we went to see a woman who'd been highly recommended to us in regards to helping the kids out with their allergies, eczema and asthma. Tisha began her career as a nurse, then went on to get her Master Herbalist Degree. Um, I don't really know what that means, but one can't argue with results. One family we know, who's children had such severe allergies that in Sacrament they were passed a special rice cracker, since there were too many allergens in bread . . . one child was on no less than 10 different medicines at any given time. Through use of diet and herbs, these children are thriving and living pretty normal lives with minimal medical intervention in their day to day lives. I was so sick of slathering steroid creams and other chemicals on Ellie's skin (sometimes multiple times a day) and her still waking up in the middle of the night crying because her legs itched so bad. Right before going to see Tisha, Ellie's eczema had spread to not only her hands, legs and feet (her feet felt like reptile skin, they were so rough and hard), and was now covering her chest, stomach and sides, and creeping its way around her back. This is no way for an active two year old to live, and it broke my heart. Add to that Annie's coughing and asthma (not to mention those expensive ER trips) and I was ready to try something better than what we were getting at the doctor's office -- which all seemed to be treating the symptoms (and not that well, since nothing was under control) and nothing was addressing the problems. Ellie and Isaac had both recently finished some antibiotics as well, so the yeast in their bodies were causing all kinds of problems (aggravates Ellie's eczema and they both get yeast-diaper infections that have to be treated with prescription anti-fungals. Yeast in your system also causes sugar/carb cravings as that's what the yeast feeds on).
So, we met with Tisha last Tuesday. I already mentioned the two week allergen/yeast cleansing diet she put us on. No yeast, dairy or sugar. Also off limits: fruits (except pineapple and citrus), tomatoes, peppers and potatoes, processed foods (as much as possible). And for me, eggs. (Although I've cheated on that one -- no way I'm making dairy-free, sugar-free whole wheat waffles every morning and making a completely different meal for myself!)
We were all put on some herbs -- each of the kids are on some different things. There's a line called Doctor Christopher's that makes decent tasting liquid herb complexes for children (their Kid-E line). The girls also take another brand that's called "Yeastie Beasties" that's designed to help the diet clean out the yeast from their guts. For myself I bought ground herbs in little baggies, mixed the prescribed amounts, and packed my own capsules, that I take with each meal. I don't take very many compared to most people doing the cleansing diet (due to the fact I'm nursing a baby), but I'm still getting amazing benefits just from the diet.
Only three days in, I noticed a decrease in Ellie's eczema. On day five it was nearly gone. And this morning, the last stubborn patch behind her knees is gone. I have spent so much time and money and effort in trying to treat Ellie's skin, I have been beyond amazed at our results.
Annie says she doesn't cough as much. And feels better.
None of us (that I've noticed) have gotten the big burst of added energy that a lot of people who've done the diet have told me about, but I know for many this doesn't come until the middle of the second week.
The most amazing thing has been Ellie's skin. The second though -- weight loss. Holy cow y'all, I have dropped NINE pounds in less than a week. You have to understand, I'm not a fan of crazy or crash diets. Sure you drop a lot, but I don't consider it healthy to eat all lemons and wheat grass or something. But I've been eating -- as much as I want, and I'm dropping weight like I never have before. My cravings are rapidly diminishing, and my appetite is easily cut in half (I think if you know you can't eat any of the crap, you just aren't as hungry anymore) :-). I eat a lot of veggies (we went through one of those boxes of spinach from Costco in about 4 days), chicken, whole wheat tortillas, quinoa, whole wheat noodles, green smoothies (spinach, almond milk, pineapple, frozen banana (we can have up to one banana a day) and some ice.) And drink LOTS of water -- but that's not unusual for me. While nursing I tend to drink about 100-130 ounces a day. I am also supposed to drink raspberry tea every day . . . but I think it's kinda nasty tasting, so I'm not as great about that.
I think the trick now will be once we transfer back to a more normal diet. The problem is all of us have at least some allergy to milk -- but man, I love cheese! Tisha also advises that one should actually always avoid dairy and sugar . . . but she admitted to my sister that if you stick with the guidelines about 70% of the time, you shouldn't have any big problems. (Things like peppers, tomatoes, fruit will become 'okay' again). I want to transition some of what we've learned this last week and keep it going in our home as just our normal diet. But then again, I really, really want a York Peppermint Patty . . . so we'll see how it goes . . . :-)
6 comments:
I'm so glad you are seeing results!
Honestly, after my 2 week cleanse, I totally fell off the wagon or whatever. I went back to eating the 'old' way and within a day or two, I felt like crap. I suddenly realized that I had gotten used to not being congested, tired and gross feeling all of the time and I liked it. So within a couple of days, I was back to being 'good.' (And by good I mean ~75%). I still cheat and use cheese, just not as often and not nearly as much. I was glad I could eat potatoes and peppers and fruit again, but when I start to feel a virus coming on, I don't mind giving them up for a few days until I feel better.
I have absolutely SUCKED at the lifestyle lately (I don't want to call it a 'diet' since that tends to convey things I don't mean), but I can't wait to get back on it fully cause you really do feel better, your appetite is decreased, your cravings fade and the pounds drop off :)
Best of luck as you continue your last week and even more luck for once you get some more freedom :)
Wow that's pretty intense - I'm not sure how you're keeping it all straight :) But the results sound pretty amazing and worth it! Good job! We've had eczema & asthmas problems too but not near as bad as yours. Maybe I'll have to follow in some of your footsteps :) Not sure I could do all of it!
I hope this keeps working for y'all, in whatever version works best for you!
That's amazing!! I should try something like that with Annika. Her eczema has been flaring up lately. So glad for you guys!
Good for your guys! Any kind of change in diet lifestyle is tough but it sounds like you're sticking with it pretty well. Plus you can't argue with those results.
I'm glad things are working. I've heard great things about Dr. Christopher. I am actually taking a pre birth pill by them.
Congrats on the weight lose!!! That's exciting!! I hope you can stick with it!!
Post a Comment