Thursday, March 31, 2011

"Why Daddy . . . ?"

So, on Sunday Greg left for California for a business trip.  (He's back today . . . I hadn't mentioned it on the blog while he was actually gone and we were all home alone and all that.)

Upon arriving at the airport, Greg remembered something he forgot.  'Cause seriously, the smartest people I know can be the flakiest (I'm looking at you, Talina!)  :-)  So, I got our children into the van and drove to the airport -- it was actually nice to have somewhere to go and get out, if even just for a drive, since we were all sick and wouldn't be going to Church -- or anywhere else for that matter.  We got there, handed off Greg's stuff, he gave kisses goodbye to all of us again, and we headed back home.  Annie was quiet for a minute.  Thoughtful.  As we were driving away, she suddenly looked up and made eye contact with me in the rear view children's mirror, "So . . . ?" she asked with a hint of confusion, "Why is Daddy going to Disneyland without us?"

Guess we hadn't adequately explained Dad's California business trip :-)

Sunday night, Greg called to say goodnight to the kids.  As Ellie was talking, she was telling him about her day when she suddenly asked Greg, "Why Daddy go on a mission?"  Since the last person we took to the airport was my little brother off to Argentina, this was another time I realized I had not really explained well enough to the girls what Dad was actually doing while he was gone for four days.  :-)

4 comments:

Kerry said...

That's cute! It's so funny to see what details of situations that kids kind of drill down on.

Jessi said...

Poor Annie! Poor Ellie! But makes for a hilarious story!

Sare said...

To answer the Disneyland query, you just need to be straightforward about it:
"Sometimes Annie, Daddies just need a little Disneyland time to themselves..."
Tell Greg I hope he had fun on his "business trip", but next time he needs to bring theme park churros back for all of us.

Cute post.

Talina said...

I love it! Now I want you guys to drive us to the airport when we go on vacation instead of Star. That way I can tell Annie that we are going to Disneyworld without her (to be fair, she is going to Disneyland without me soon) and I'll tell Ellie all about our mission to Florida! Let's do it! :-) . . . that reminds me, I need to ask Star is she will drive us to the airport . . .