Today is Cody's birthday. I won't see him today (or anytime soon), since he's off gallivanting through Uruguay. He's on an LDS mission, with a bit more than a year left. He's having an amazing time, we get to email with him every week, and I send him more pictures that he knows what to do with.
I've been thinking about him today. I miss him. Mainly, I miss my girls' "Uncle Cody", who is one of their best friends and favorite people in the whole wide world. He's been gone nearly a year, and they still talk about him all the time. Anyone who dares try to play with them in the sandbox, be prepared to be told all the dozens of ways you're not as good at it as Uncle Cody. Every single time Ellie says it prayer, it goes like this, "Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for the food. Please bless Cody on a mission." Every time. (Even if it's not meal time).
I'm a little sad he's not here with us on his birthday -- but at the same time, I'm thrilled that he's having the time of his life celebrating in an entirely different hemisphere, surrounded by new friends and a lot of fun people. People kind enough to invite him over to help kill and roast a pig. And a companion who bought a chocolate cheesecake. It makes me happy that other people are looking out for him when I can't be :-) (And frankly, if he'd been home with me, I would've NEVER let him kill and roast a pig -- so he's probably better off where he is. I may have given him cheesecake though.)
Happy Birthday Bug!


No comments:
Post a Comment