Friday, July 8, 2011

McShrimp the Third?

I had these two tiny little girls.  Then along came my big ol' 8 lb. baby boy.  Who quickly doubled his birth weight in a matter of just a few months, and topped out at 95th percentile on the charts in weight, and in the 70's in height.  I'd never had a kid above 30-something percent on height before!  But Isaac, he was different.  He was big.  Then, as is often the case with breastfed babies, he stalled out, and his chart has a downward curve.  And at a year old, he's ALMOST 21 lbs. at 19 percent on weight, and just over 29 inches, at 29 percent on height.  The only thing that kept growing was his head :-)  That was at 93rd this time, up from 91 percent at 9 months.  :-)  My boy has slimmed down quite a bit, and he went from 60th percent in height to 29% in less than three months.  My kids are just shrimpy, I guess . . . even when they psych you out for awhile with huge numbers and rapid gains.  He seems to be settling in to where he fits at in the curve, which happens to be smaller than we'd expected.  (Even with all the non-stop, from morning 'til night, eating!) 

Fortunately, we have a pediatrician who isn't hung up on numbers.  Instead, she takes in the whole picture, seeing this active little boy who's happily pointing out everything in the office, and asking, "Mo?"  (Which means, "What is that, Mom?")  At one point he said something that sounded to me like, "Ah at?"  To which the doctor exclaimed happily, "I think he's asking 'What's that?' . . . he's a genius!  He's going to be talking in sentences before you know it!")  She was thrilled at all his pointing and clapping and verbalizing . . . she oohed and ahhhed over his motor skills (both fine and gross) and made me feel like an awesome Mom to an obvious genius child, and didn't even make me feel bad about the double ear infections Isaac was sporting that I didn't know about.  She gushed, and was a tad sad, about his good looks that are reshaping his face from that of a baby to a toddler.  She teased me about my children's GINORMOUS heads, but assured me he looks completely normal and proportionate :-)  Even pointing out what Greg and I had already noticed, that our kids' head size is mainly from the forehead to the back of their heads (i.e., they have deep, not wide heads.)  I like having a pediatrician who acts like a gushing Aunt.  And though I'm sure she's like this with all the kids, she always makes me feel like my kids truly are exceptional.  Which, of course, they are.  :-)






The one dark spot on the day was, of course, those pesky ear infections.  I tried to treat the last ones holistically, which blew up in our faces, and we ended up with an ear infection that resisted TWO whole rounds of antibiotics, and took a third round to knock it out.  I'm a little nervous to see what this one holds for us . . .

4 comments:

Vala said...

Big or small, he sure is cute! His story sounds about like my Isaac's! Huge from birth, then around 9 months those numbers took a rapid decline. Ah well, healthy is what matters! And cheers to doctors who make us feel good and normal about it!

Jessi said...

Isaac is adorable and so smart! Sorry about the ears!

Kerry said...

Ear infections suck. I'm sorry. Glad he showed how clever he is for the doctor!

Thorne Family said...

Sounds like my boy born huge and stays huge until about one, then they slim down and they head still grows!!
He is such a cutie!!
Good luck with the ear infections.