Friday, January 21, 2011

I Would Like My (Relatively) Well Mannered Children Returned Please . . .

OK, so is it the full moon or something?!  'Cause my children are just barely this side of possessed.  It's nonstop crying, whining, screaming, fighting and sobbing around here the last few days.  I can't set Isaac down without him crying so hard he forgets to breathe.  The girls are smacking each other around constantly, which is actually quite unusual for them.  Annie wakes up so grumpy that I'm half tempted to go put her immediately back in bed and lock the door behind her.  Ellie is so extremely short tempered and volatile that she's a tiny hurricane of extreme emotions, leaving a wake of destruction (physical, emotional and mental) in her wake.  Even the messes they make seem to be worse than normal.  And I can't keep up with them!  Isaac won't let me set him down without screaming bloody murder, so I'm doing most of my housework single handedly, and I'm getting more behind by the hour.  I tried to work out this morning (needing an endorphin rush something fierce) and ended up getting so distressed by his frantic shrill cries from his (normally beloved) exersaucer, and the girls screaming at each other and threatening each other with bodily harm, that I only made it about 5 minutes in before I nearly melted down and had to shut off the DVD to tend to my needy, ornery children. 

Have I mentioned I haven't showered or changed into regular clothes yet today?

Isaac's only letting me type this, 'cause I'm holding him up one handed so he can stare at himself in the mirror above my computer.  It won't last long.


Over the last several days Greg has got to enjoy several phone calls with a minimum of two children shrieking uncontrollably in the background, and empty threats by his wife of, "You better get home on time tonight, 'cause I can't guarantee I'll be here even 10 seconds after 4:30 comes around." 




Oh, it helped quite a bit that I went to a cake decorating class last night, while Greg stayed home, got all three children down for bed and then cleaned, mopped and vacuumed the entire main floor.  (Probably out of fear I really would take off after another day of such torture.  Either way, he's amazing.)  I felt very refreshed, rejuvenated in a cleaner home, plus I proved myself to be a cake decorating genius (not really, but I was way impressed by my first attempt nonetheless.)  Of course, then the children all woke up this morning just as pissy and my mood has turned foul again.



Please tell me it's the full moon . . . and that things'll get back to normal soon . . .

3 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

Maybe we should trade for variety's sake... 3 crabby children for 3 crabby children.

As I was typing this, Nathan told Connor to go to time out. I think he's picking up on the theme of the day.

Unknown said...

Full moon was Wednesday, so that might have something to do with it. Also, supposedly there's a big storm rolling in today... maybe it's a change in the barometric pressure? (Do these ideas work the same on ornery children as they supposedly do on extremely pregnant women?)

Jessi said...

I am sorry! I hope things are getting better!