The whole week leading up to the ultrasound, I was being bombarded by the thoughts, "I can't have boys . . . I don't get boys . . . I'm a 'girls' kinda person, I grew up around all these sisters, and now my own girls . . ." I'd see boys in the store, neighbor boys, Annie's male friends, and watch them do things, well, just differently than my own girls and think, "That is not my world, I wouldn't know how to handle that . . ." (It was also just an unusual week where I saw a lot of 'naughty' little boys acting up, even in ways unusual for them. Little boys were starting to scare the crap out of me . . . what odd, destructive little creatures!) So, of course, we go in for the ultrasound and within 15 seconds are told, "Well, it's a boy!" And I was a little shocked. I hadn't realized just how convinced I was it was a girl until that second. I hadn't seen what the tech had seen, and she'd already moved on to doing head measurements and the like. I couldn't quite process how I was feeling, and part of me was thinking, "The tech must've not seen it right . . ." so I went on watching the ultrasound, just waiting for her to get a second look and tell me, "Oh wait, it's a girl." But within just a few seconds, we saw a little baby face on screen, and I smiled and thought, "Oh, he's gorgeous." We saw his tiny feet (kicking away like my bladder like it was a soccer ball) and I thought, "Oh, look at his little feet!" I melted at the sight of him. Even before we got to the 'gender shot' part of the ultrasound, the visual proof I'd been waiting for, I had a son. And I couldn't imagine anyone in his place.
So, I'm going to get to raise a boy! A son, who'll grow into a man. (Who'll get married and move away and replace me in his life . . . but that's getting ahead of myself!) :-) And my husband, who is the greatest example of a man that I've ever known (kind, strong, sweet, hardworking, smart, tender, compassionate, understanding, supportive, funny and wonderful) is exactly the kind of man who should be raising the next generation of men. It's gonna be different, but it's gonna be amazing! He is the addition to our family we've been planning on, preparing for, even if we hadn't realized it yet. And he's gonna fit in perfectly.
As I've been processing this whole 'change' in our life coming up, I've realized where part of my 'hang up' about having boys has come from. It wasn't really the whole 'they're wilder, or have more energy or are more destructive' thing like I thought it was. It's about expectations. And the expectations that we (mainly Greg) should or would want a boy more than 'another' girl. I've found myself defensive of my daughters, only wanting another daughter, in response to the comments I've gotten about how 'disappointing it would be' if we had another girl. Since our big 'it's a boy' announcement, I've received emails and comments and phone calls, some dripping with 'relief' for Greg, that he's finally getting his son. (Greg, even more so than me, was convinced it was another girl. That we'd only have girls. And he was fine with that. He loves his little girls, and could happily picture a house filled with pink purses, and baby dolls, and makeup, and be perfectly happy with that.) Upon receiving our latest news, one of my grandmothers cried and cried tears of happiness . . . not that we were pregnant, but that we would be having a son. It was 'about time.' And 'Oh, lucky Greg!' And 'Greg must be so thrilled! He'll finally have a son!' Ever since we found out we were first pregnant with a girl, with Annie, we received near-condolences. Like, "Oh, how's Greg taking the news?" "Is Greg OK with that?" Um, that's he's having a healthy, beautiful, daughter . . . he's fine with it, thanks. So, for this pregnancy, I think even wanting a boy made me feel mildly traitorous . . . almost to spite those who 'wished us better luck next time', I only wanted girls. Now, of course, I can't imagine having any family different than the one God blessed me with, but I have to tell you, this whole 'gender' thing leaves me feeling kinda defensive at times. I try not to but at times have found myself a bit resentful of those comments about 'finally having a boy' or stress the importance of passing on a family name, or place extra importance on a 'first born son or grandson'. And I know people don't mean anything by it. (And frankly, it's mainly old people.) I know for many of these people, it comes from a place of their own love and affection for their own sons, and they're just thrilled for us that we'll be able to experience raising a son too. And we're excited for that too. But it just kinda hurts, somewhere deep down, that maybe these people didn't see our girls as 'enough,' or that there would be something more special about them if they were 'sons'.
But, I'm so happy right now. Despite all my fears about it being a boy, now that we know that's the case, I can't imagine life being any different. I'm going to get to raise a son. And he, along with his sisters, will turn out amazing!
And, just edited to add: The comments that have affected me have NOT been the congratulatory, "We're so excited for you! I love having a little boy!" or "There's nothing like a little boy!" or "Just wait, there's something so special about being a Mom to a son!" These comments make me excited for a baby boy of my own. It's completely the "You must be relieved" or "He'll be the first grandson" (on my side, that ship sailed three years ago on Greg's side) or "Greg's waited so long" or "I bet you were praying for this every night" or "Greg must be so excited for a son" kinda comments. The, 'this is way better than the alternative, i.e. another girl,' kinda comments.
Oh, and pregnancy hormones play a part in this, obviously :-)
11 comments:
I understand. I told someone you were having a boy and the reply was, "I'll bet your father is SO happy." and I was like, "um, yeah, he's very happy to be having another grandCHILD." I doubt his joy is any greater for it being a boy over a girl (this is the man who raised 4 of the most incredible daughters in the world. He'd BETTER not prefer boys) ;)
But I am excited that you are having a boy cause boys are cute and it will be fun to see Greg raise a boy after seeing him with bows in his hair and lip-gloss on his teeth. I actually have a harder time picturing him playing with toy cars after watching him play with Annie for the past 3 1/2 years ;)
Congratulations on expanding your family. All of us are SO excited!!! (Another little one to go around!)
Congrats, Hilary!! That's some happy news! I know you'll be a great mommy to your new little GUY!!
I never got those kind of responses, I think I wanted a boy more than Mike did, but we didn't find out what we were having with our boys, so maybe its that 3rd child thing. Now I am feeling kind of bad my brother just had his 3rd girl and I really wanted them to have a boy, not because I dont love girls but there is something different about a boy they have a special sweetness. Though Mike always said he didnt care what we were having as long as the pregnancy stuck and they were healthy I will tell you when they first said its a boy when Owen was born Mike actually choked up and that is the only one that happened, His first son kind of thing. Isn't it funny how involved everybody gets in everybody elses life, really why does it matter to anyone else?
For me, it's really been mostly the response of like grandparents and friends/neighbors of my parents. It's more the old fashioned 'son to carry on the family name thing' that I'm sensitive too. This probably has something to do with being one of FIVE girls in a family, where my parents finally had a son, and he was like the 'long awaited grandson' to my grandparents 'cause there was finally someone who can carry on the family name, and be 'the man in the family.' It pissed my sisters (and my Mom) and I off :-) I guess my issues tie into things I perceive as sexist ideals, putting more actual value on boys than girls, not just the being excited for a son. Heck, having had two girls that I love so much, I'm always kinda extra happy for someone who's having a girl, 'cause it's what I know. I think that's normal :-) I've just learned more to be more careful about how I say it now that I've seen how much it's hurt me in the past when people have made disparaging comment about my children being of one sex over the other. :-)
I've actually really appreciated cousins and friends who've told me how much fun it was to have a boy and how there is just something different and unique about being a Mommy to a little boy. The things that are bugging me this time around, are a lot of the same people who were 'disappointed' when Annie was a girl, and were 'sad' for Greg. I've had fun seeing the excitement of friends and neighbors who have sons though, who are just so excited for me to have the same opportunity they've had in raising a boy.
I am excited for you to get to have the parenting experience with both genders. It's something I'm finding myself wanting, which is strange. It's not that I would be sad with all boys, but I think I would definitely miss getting to parent a girl.
Ooh! You should read "Half the Sky." It's all about all of the atrocities that happen to girls around the world, and why girls are so picked on, and why girls are so awesome and how the female sex is basically the cure to all of the world's evils. It's a heart-breaking (but awesome) read. I would know because I'm 20 pages in (but I have skimmed the rest)!
I have a lot to say on this subject but I am unwilling to type it all out on the phone. We will just need to go out to dinner and discuss.
Sounds good Jess!
Hmm. I have so many thoughts on this topic, it'll be hard to keep it short. I think there is a natural desire for people to want 1 of each. But I also think that behind every comment about the subject you have to almost look deeper to figure out what they're really saying (like you said the whole pass the name thing). I think that's lame. I get that Jeramie and I are unconventional in respect that we gave our boys a hyphenated last name. It'll be difficult for them at times. People judge me ALL the time for that. Bottom line, you don't have to have a boy to pass on a name! I still carry my maiden name. I think in a way you miss out a little bit whether you have all of either gender. Boys and girls are SO different and both SOO special in their own way. You're lucky (as I am) that you get to experience both!
Congratulations!!!!! Yes, I am so excited for you to have a little boy, and yes, there is something very special about the relationship between a mother and her son, and yes, I have so loved having boys! You're in for a fantastic ride and your sweet girls will so love "mothering" your little man. Now, if you have any inspiration on names, please pass them my way!!! I am stumped.
I love my little boy so much!! I didn't know if I could love a boy as much as I love my little girls since girls are so soft and sensitive and just screaming for love and affection. But I was so pleasantly surprised by the amount of feeling I had for Evan the first time I held him. I would honestly be happy with all boys from here on out. He is so cuddly and full of affection. He gives away hugs like they are going out of style and just melts into me when I hold the little bugger. Lauren was always so independant that it was such a special thing for me to have him just sit on my lap and enjoy my loving. You are such a lucky mommy to be having a little man. Congratulations!!!
But I do have to say that your lucky anyway the coin lands. You have a sweet husband and two beautiful and engaging little girls. If you were to have an other little girl, then it still would have been such a gift. Because as much as I stress and moan about the work involved in my kidos, they really are the most amazing thing in my life. So I say again Congratulations-your having a baby!! boy or girl, your having a little one!!
Your sweetness about realizing you already love your son made me cry. Awwww...I have a blog post coming up (if I can ever find the time to sit down and post it) about learning "the boy code" for things. Nathan informed me the other night that I HAVE to get up to speed on these things before our little guy is much bigger. Oh, the adventures of trying to relate to the other gender. I totally hear ya about all the weird comments. Got a lot of that when we found out Coop was a boy. All of the "Nathan must be SO relieved" comments really bothered me too.
Post a Comment