When I was young, I wanted to play "School" for hours and hours. I would make my younger sister Star come to school, where I would sit her down to a desk and give her worksheets and make her sit still in a chair while I lectured. She'd whine and beg for it to be recess. I wanted to work on our letters. She just wanted to go outside.
I don't really remember any of this, I've just heard the stories of me 'encouraging' Star to do just one more worksheet, and Star crying to my Mom, "MOM! Hilary won't let me have recess again! I don't want to go to school!"
I was reminded of this earlier today, as Annie had Ellie sitting quietly in a small chair. "We must be reverently and quietly, Ellie, this is Primary." She started talking about everything they're going to do "next Sunday." Then it was singing time. Ellie got in trouble for not paying attention to Annie while she led the music. Then it was time to pray, so it was time to put down the crayons by her paper and fold her arms. Ellie wasn't listening, so Annie decided it was time for Ellie to "give me your crayons until you can listen to the teacher." Annie assured me that "Ellie really likes Primary . . . she's going to sit right here until we're done."
Maybe I'm biased, but oldest children are hilarious overachievers :-) Second children probably just find them obnoxious.
3 comments:
The stories cole could tell about me and my bossy ways! However, I hope in those stories he would talk about what a protective and helpful older sister I was/am!
I love how you write. This is the same in our house too. I can't wait to find out if you will remain a girly house or will you have to start letting transformers in the mix.
Hey Hil--don't often get to check blogs any more, but every so often I'll get 10 minutes to myself and get to read up on some of your latest and greatest. I always end up laughing myself to near tears. Your girls are so funny. Thanks for lightening my mood and brightening my day!
Post a Comment