Saturday, January 5, 2013

Money, Money, Money. Money.

So, I was just whining about our flex spending account situation for this year on facebook, and decided I'd move it over here as well -- just so the whining is as far spread as possible, I guess :-)

Each year, it feels like I'm making some big gamble as I try and see the future and figure out how much money to put in our flex spending account for the next year.  This last year, I feel like I won the flex spending account jackpot -- I just submitted my last receipt for last year, and it was $200.  We had $145 left in the account.  With every single medical thing that came up this year (including Owen having surgery for tubes), we were only $55 short at the end of the year.  That's some kinda miracle, in my opinion.

This year though -- looks like I've already blown it!  :-)   When I set up our flex spending money for 2013, none of us were on a single prescription, all the kids have functioning tubes in their ears (so that shouldn't be an issue), and there should be no new baby this year (in theory -- I've learned I don't have quite as much control in this area as I think I do, but there are no plans of any new additions!)  So, I put half as much money into our account this year.  I might've been playing it a little safe, but I couldn't see anything really big happening that I should plan ahead for.

Since everything was finalized and no more changes could be made, my health situation blew up into a big old mess, and all the sudden I'm on a 24-7 heart monitor for a month, I'm on five different prescriptions, and each of the boys are on prescription iron now too.  I have countless appointments, labs, tests, etc. still to come as they try and answer more questions and take care of the already uncovered issues. 

I'm gonna burn through this money by like February.  :-)

Oh well.  But you know what should come with that whole packet of 'how to plan you health insurance for the next year' they send each October.  A CRYSTAL BALL!  :-)


Then, just for fun, more stuff I'm stealing from my facebook page . . . 

Recent video of my cute, cute family.


Isaac a couple days ago, while watching "The Little Mermaid":
"I love this movie!" Isaac explains when 'The Little Mermaid' comes on, "It's the 'Little Friends Under the Water' movie! It's about a princess, who lives under the big sea. It has dolphins, birds, a little bird, and a fish and she lives in not a castle, and it's called 'The Down in the Sea Little Princess'. There's a fishy under the water, and it's about fishies and other under the water things." Ellie adds, "I don't know what it's about, really," and Isaac adds, "It's about water, really, I don't know, mermaids, I guess." This kid cracks me up! It's so funny to me that Ellie was in speech therapy around this age because she was using so few words, and he's the exact opposite, and just talks non stop, constantly narrating his life and everything going on. Funny how each kid develops so differently, and yet you'd never look at Ellie and guess she'd ever been at a lack of words :-) "I love this," he just added, "It's called "Down in the Sea", and there are lots of singing mermaids. Oh no, the Daddy is mad now . . . "

Earlier the same day:
About an hour and a half ago, I gave Owen a bowl of oatmeal for lunch. Then he snacked on some Cheerios while I made him chicken. Which he followed with corn and beans. Which he followed with more chicken. Then I strained some homemade chicken noodle soup for him and he ate up all the potatoes, carrots, celery, onions and chicken. Now he's fussy and I think he's still hungry. For a one year old who's barely cracked the 17 pound mark, you sure are a hungry little thing Owen! 

Potty Training, December 31:
Earlier today Isaac was walking around the house talking about his "Incredible panties." He was wearing underwear that had Disney's "Incredibles" on it, but it was just funny to hear him talking about his 'incredible panties' all morning :-)

Earlier that day:
Dear Isaac -- while I appreciate the amazing potty training skills you've busted out lately, for the love, can you please just pee in your diaper at 5AM. Mom and Dad love you, we just don't want you coming in during the wee morning hours asking us to help you take off your pajamas, diaper, then having to clean out a potty. We're tired, you have a diaper on, why don't we all just stay in bed 'til morning. Okay?

And lastly, some picture from a couple days ago when Annie became obsessed with playing "Nativity" and spent a whole evening moving people around into different 'roles' in the manger.  She explained at one point, "You know . . . Mary and Joseph didn't get a lot of sleep . . ."









 
 

1 comment:

Jessi said...

Medical stuff and bills is always so tricky! Good luck finding a way to balance it all, and let me know when you do.

And I am so jealous of Isaac and his potty training, Quinn is so stubborn in this area. (Well, most areas...).