And, like so many of our bad habits, I'm passing this one on to my kids. :-) Today was Stake Conference, and while my Dad had to rush off to fix Star's broken furnace, and Greg stayed home with a sick Isaac and a wilder-than-we-want-to-deal-with-in-a-2-hour-meeting Ellie, my Mom, Annie and I headed off, just us girls, to our meetings this morning. It wasn't long before Annie was writing a letter to Cody, and then wanting ideas of what to write in her notebook. To this day I'm convinced one of the reasons Annie recognized all her letters so early was because for the first two and a half years of her life, we lived in my parents Ward, and my Mom would write letters and words and names with Annie throughout Sacrament Meeting to keep her quietly entertained. Well, today I wrote out a couple math problems for Annie, keeping them simple as to not frustrate her and cause any math-related-drama during the meeting. But soon, my Mom was writing out problems for her, and my Mom is able to 'push' Annie a lot further than I can without tears or whining, and Annie was having fun working out math problems with Grandma. When one got 'too hard', Grandma just bribed her with a new necklace if she'd attempt the problem, and Annie had it solved in no time . . .
Grandma and Annie went on to carry on a long one-sided conversation on paper (my Mom would ask questions in writing, that Annie would have to read and then answer), and eventually the topic came around to Annie 'earning' a prize for Ellie as well (since she'd already earned a prize from doing her first page of math.) Annie said she was willing to do ONE last math problem with Grandma, in exchange for Ellie getting a matching Christmas necklace to Annie's promised new one. Here was the problem Grandma came up with . . .
Grandma is very tricky. :-)
Here's a couple pages of notes from Grandma to Annie . . .
I already mentioned Annie knew her letter because Grandma constantly wrote them for her during Church, but I should also mention I think a huge part of her ability to read came from my Mom writing her out stories and notes from a really young age . . .
The nice thing about having a 'village' to help raise your kids, is that they sure learn a lot more this way! There are things my parents teach my kids to do that I wouldn't have even thought they were anywhere near ready to learn . . . my parents don't seem to have any of those same preconceived notions about what and when kids can learn. I would be like, "It's too early to teach them that," and my Mom & Dad are more like, "Teach it to 'em, then they'll know it." Which is also why Annie is currently creaming most of the extended family in the card game 'Mormon Bridge'. Grandpa taught it to her, and it turns out she rocks at it.



4 comments:
This is darling!
1. Annie is seriously doing more advanced math than some of my 4th graders.
2. I love that you documented their cute notes.
3. As much as I would like to stay home with Quinn, I love all the new things she learns from her grandparents everyday. Like you said, these are things I would have never even thought to teach her. It takes a village for sure!
Too funny and cool! Yep, the ceiling for our kids is only as high as we build it. It's nice to make it a vaulted one. ;o)
That is so cool! What a little smartie! Annie is doing math harder than what my 2nd grader is doing!
Post a Comment