If you want to read some great writing by a wise woman, I highly recommend checking these posts out:
http://thebookofarmaments.blogspot.com/2011/11/on-kindness.html
http://thebookofarmaments.blogspot.com/2011/10/celebrating-our-differences.html
That's my sister in law, Liz. She's pretty awesome, huh? I've been thinking a lot about what Liz has written lately. And what the two of us talk about a lot. See, Liz and I both have three young kids, 5 years old, 3 years old and 1 . . . so, we have a pretty good grasp on each others day to day life. (Despite the panic attacks I've caused her with my unexpected fourth pregnancy, she thus far seems to have missed the chance to be pregnant with me yet again.) We tend to be going through things like teething, potty training and sleepless nights around the same time in life. Having Liz to go so closely through motherhood with, has been one of the great blessings of my life as a Mom. There are probably few other people in my life who I'm quite so blatantly honest about what life is like, as I am with Liz, and it's not uncommon for us to spend an hour or better on the phone, really, really regularly.
Unfortunately, hers isn't the only writing I've been dwelling on lately. I'd gotten an email recently, that kindly informed me I should probably stop complaining so much about sick kids and motherhood, 'cause at least I had kids, and was pregnant, and there are lots of people who'd happily trade me places in a heartbeat. That I should just be thankful for what I have.
My heart kinda shattered a little when I read that. It hurt. I felt guilty. I cried. And unfortunately, that's not a super rare occurrence around these parts lately, so once again, my kids just stared at me like I was crazy as I tried to compose myself.
This last several months (year?!) have been really difficult with sick kids. It's scary to feel like you have no control over how well your kids are doing. I can clean my house, wash all laundry on sanitize, use essential oils, hand washing, good hygiene, breastfeed past the American norm for immunity purposes, use a well respected line of children's supplements and herbs, consult doctors, specialists, surgeons, herbalists, naturalists and try my best to feed them a healthful diet . . . and I still can't keep them from getting sick. I've never felt so helpless in my life. There's been scary hospital and ER visits, there's been tests and doctor's appointments and lab results that have gotten screwed up and cost us our chance of finding out what was wrong. There has been more money and less sleep than I'd planned on. It's been really difficult. I try not to complain about it much; I cry to Greg, I unload on those closest to me, and in my own little world of blogs and facebook, I vent a little. My world has gotten a lot smaller this last year. I don't leave my house much anymore, it's hard when you have a kid who's had diarrhea for a month. I get Annie and Ellie off to school, play with Isaac, and maybe run to the grocery store when Greg's home in the evening (getting three kids in and out of carseats with my ever expanding belly is getting more difficult, and tiring, than feels less than worth it a lot of times). But I'm tired, and I'm run down, and I am often dealing with a child I don't want infecting anyone else, so I don't get out like I used to. I haven't made it to Church in six weeks. That, and volunteering in Annie's school, are my last two social outreaches a lot of times. You would be shocked to see how much I don't mention online. Every time I post an update about my kids, I've weighed very heavily how badly I need to vent vs. the possible cost of it (i.e., exposing myself to comments and advice that while helpful, sometimes hurts 'cause it feels like people just think that if I could 'figure this out', my babies would be all better. Which is my own issue -- the vast majority of comments are very sweet and supportive, very few have actually carried any judgement in them. But, man, those ones hurt.)
I have tried to be really conscientious about complaining about the pregnancy itself. I am very well aware of loved ones and friends in my life who would give their right arm to be pregnant. This pregnancy was a big surprise, it took some getting used to. It was mildly terrifying to feel a total lack of control in my own life that came with an unexpected pregnancy. But I am grateful. Those feelings were fleeting, and I am joyous and thankful every time I feel this little boy move and squirm inside me. I'm so completely head over heels in love with this baby, and I can't wait to meet him. But it hasn't been easy. This pregnancy has been, by far, the most emotionally and physically difficult. Couple the paragraph above with the fact that I am 33 weeks pregnant, and my stress level doubles. Only Greg could tell you how many nights I've sobbed myself to sleep, crying about how I can't keep Isaac well, what is heaven's name am I going to be able to do for a newborn? Having flashbacks to Isaac in the hospital at 7 months old with RSV, on oxygen and struggling to breathe, and realizing this new baby will be THREE WEEKS OLD at the same time of year. There is a near crippling terror that fills my most vulnerable moments. I am tired, I am stressed, I am hormonal and emotional, and I've never been so affected by it all as I am right now. I would not trade this opportunity to be a Mom to this baby, or any of any of my children, but I have never had such a hard time with it as I'm having now. I have moments of hopelessness, fear and self-pity that I have never felt before. They like to grab me in the middle of the night, and try to bury me deep into my pillow until it feels like I can't breathe. When I'm supposed to be sleeping. And trust me, I needed that sleep. Fortunately, they are fleeting. Or at least, aren't often overwhelming. I have a wonderful support system of more family than a girl could know what to do with, the world's most amazing husband, and beautiful children who remind me every day all that I have to be thankful for. But this is hard. I've never felt like this. I really think the vast majority of it is the hormones of pregnancy, and the sleep deprivation sure isn't helping. Even when I feel my most desperate and hopeless, there is still a feeling of peace that comes after the storm, that tells me these feelings aren't my whole reality. They're just one small part, and not even the most important part. I am so happy with my life, it's just never been so difficult for me. And I realize that if this is the most 'difficult' thing I've dealt with before, than I'm a very, very lucky woman. But it is my own personal trial, and therefore it feels very hard, and very personal.
So before you ever send an email to someone, telling them what they should or should not feel . . . please just remember that you probably only know a fraction of the story, see a corner of the whole picture, and that everyone is fighting their own battle. Maybe you're strong enough that the same trial wouldn't stress you out, but the other person may not be as strong as you. And having that pointed out, probably won't help the matter.
9 comments:
Ok, this kind of makes me a bit weepy! I love you! And I echo your sentiment times one hundred - having you to go through motherhood has been one of my greatest blessings.
Also, what Hilary failed to mention is that I have a fierce vindictive streak. If any of you make her cry again, I will probably be sending you a dead animal in the mail. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Amen. It is so easy for those on the outside to think, "She doesn't have it that bad." or "If only she did (fill in the blank)." I know that I myself have done this. But the truth is we can't know what another person is experiencing, even if we've endured the same trial because every person is different and we can only see some of what they are enduring.
Hilary, you are an AMAZING mom and I'm so glad I get to use you as my mommyhood-support-system (and Liz by extension).
And Liz? I hope I never get on your bad side. I'd hate to find out what roadkill smells like after a trip across the country courtesy of the usps. :)
First off I am sending you gigantic hugs!! Over the past few months I have really felt for you. Being pregnant is hard in itself, but having a 1 year old at the same time...plus dealing with so much sickness. I have told Tyson several times I don't know how she does it!
Just know that every mommy feels overwhelmed, stressed, scared, emotional, inadequate most of the time. I do frequently and question myself on how good of a mommy I am being.
I support you 100% and say vent away....people are far too critical of others.
I am so sorry you are struggling. That sucks, and makes me so sad for you!
You are an amazing mother! I was just telling someone the other day that you are one of the most patient, loving moms out there. You are fabulous!
And I totally can relate in a lot of ways. Having a sick baby sucks. Most people don't really get it. Last winter I felt the most isolated I have ever felt. I went nowhere but to work and home, and it sucked. I am dreading facing that again this winter as RSV season (too) quickly approaches.
Being a mom is hard. I know I have judged others for things I did not yet understand, and I am sorry someone sent you a hurtful email. And you are an awesome mom, wife, sister and friend! (and you are so lucky to have Liz in your life!)
Loves!
That is very heavy stuff to be going through! I'm sorry! I stress about what it will be like to have two kids who could possibly infect each other and be sick at the same time, so I can't even begin to imagine how emotional it must feel. May God and the universe send your family nothing but health for the coming year!
Don't let anyone invalidate the way you feel. It's okay to be blessed but still overwhelmed and upset!!
Hate. Hate is a very strong word. But I truly hate when people say, "It could be worse." Or something along those lines. Being a mother to a disabled child, well I've heard it a lot. I've felt it even more. But you know what? It still sucks. I still feel cheated, not just on Baylee's behalf but on my own. When I see my niece who is actually YOUNGER than Baylee by a few months, I do feel pangs of jealousy sometimes. I am reminded of what Baylee doesn't have and what I don't have. What sucks for me, may not suck for someone else. But at the end of the day it DOES SUCK FOR ME.
I could go on and on. But what I really want to say is don't let other people make you feel guilty for feeling bad or sad about something. That is YOUR reality. As a mother one of the hardest things I think is when our kids are sick and there's NOTHING we can do about it. To be dealing with that on top of being pregnant is downright hard. We are all entitled to our own feelings and emotions. We are all entitled to feel the way we feel. And we all know that things will get better and we'll look back and think, awe that wasn't so bad afterall. But we are entitled to our bad days too.
Complain all you want girlfriend! In my humble opinion it's much better that you are talking about how you are feeling, so people know. Rather than not saying anything and then expecting people to be patient and tolerant when perhaps you're more weepy or less patient than normal. Hang in there. It WILL get better. :o)
Thats what blogs are for I thought?? To vent and let out what you want to.Most the people that read them can understand to a point what we are all going thru as moms and so we can relate and in a way makes it ok for us to vent on our blogs.
What stood out for me the most was when you pointed out that people that are not in the situation do not understand and should basically keep there mouths shut. I got so much crap from people even strangers at the store when Logan was in his helmet cuz of my feelings that I had about it.Or just what people thought I felt about it. And it was often hard to hear cuz "they didnt understand" We just have to do whats best and blow off rude comments from people that are not in our shoes and dont know the whole situation. Its so easy to say that someone elses life is easy and they have nothing to complain about.But noones life is perfect and we all have our own trials to work thru.You are a great mom and do so much for your kids. Never feel bad about venting its what we have to do to survive as moms these days. If we couldn't let it out from time to time we would burst :) I am glad to hear that he is doing better. Its so sad when you feel helpless and don't know what to do for your babies.
Oh Hilary... my heart aches for you. I don't know exactly what you're feeling, of course, but I have been through similar struggles myself and have had many periods when I thought I just might literally lose my mind. This past week was a really rough one for me, and I know how hard it can be when you know just how incredibly blessed you are, but yet you are still struggling so hard to keep it together for your family. I wish I could be more helpful. Consider this a hug from down in AZ. Love you.
It has been WAY too long since I've ready your blog, but this post really touched me. I complain a lot about the hard times I've been going through and the difficulties of this pregnancy, and I have also received a few well meaning comments that only end up really hurting in the end. Personally, I think if you want to vent and let us know about what you're struggling with, I think it's great. It's hard when you're a mom cooped up inside a lot and having a sick child is probably one of the hardest things ever. Ryker's whole first year was spent being sick and it was soo hard.
There were so many wonderful things about being a mom, but there are just as many challenging things. I never used to be a crier, but all that changed when I became a mom. Not too mention a whole new reason to have feelings of guilt because I'm worried I'm not as good of a mother as I should be. I actually had someone tell me once because I was leaving Ryker with someone else so I could work out an hour or more a day, that Ryker would be better off being raised by someone else because they'd do a better job than me. That one took me months to stop crying over. Anyway, all this to say that we're all doing the best we know how to do and we love our children more than words can say, and that's what counts. Other people are allowed to vent about things in their lives, and moms are allowed to vent about the struggles in theirs. You can add me to your list of people to vent to if you ever want to. ;) I'm just glad to know I'm not alone in my struggles as a mother.
Post a Comment