Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Craziness & Baby Smiles

Recently, Annie has taken temporary leave of her sanity and has gone full blown four year old crazy. This, by far, has been the most challenging stage (I'm gonna say that a lot over the next 15 years, aren't I?) She's just so defiant and snotty and it's a shock to my mothering system to watch her treat her sister and I so rotten. Ellie, the brunt of much of Annie's moodiness, responds by being a mean little tease and pushing every last one of her buttons. Ellie is a ball of energy and personality -- when used for good, this makes for the single most adorable two year old in human history -- when used for evil, it's a force to be reckoned with. And combinet that with Annie's drama and attitude, and it's like the perfect storm of moodiness. Well, this all culminated yesterday, in a mess of tears and screaming (mostly the girls, but I wasn't immune), that landed both of the girls in their room at noon, with a strict 'you will not leave this room until you take the nap we all so need for you to take!' mandate. There was much screaming in protest ("Ellie! I didn't even know Mom could be this mean!" and "I don't even know if I love Mommy anymore!"), but I stuck to my guns (and also went for a walk outside with Isaac for awhile, just around the circle repeatedly, so that I didn't lose it with them), and almost THREE HOURS LATER they both finally crashed and slept. Ellie for a total of 45 minutes (so guess who was grumpy all evening?), and Annie for a blissful two hours or so. Which, of course, meant she was wide awake until about 10PM last night. I still haven't decided if it was worth it or not.
With the girls screaming in their room, I hid out in mine and made goofy faces and cooed and chatted with Isaac for hours. It was a really nice break, to just hang out the two of us without anyone wanting or needing anything else. Plus, a smiling baby was just what my beaten down mood needed! It was a nice break from an angry, ranting, dramatic, possibly-hormonal, four year old girl. That baby is so cute, and I could just sit there and smile and coo with him all day. Well, if I didn't have two other kids and a house to take care of . . .

Today he's 7 weeks old, and I was taking pictures of him and Ellie this morning. (Annie was downstairs watching 'Mickey Mouse Club', and we weren't gonna mess with that.) Ellie was a little cheese ball, per usual, and Isaac was fairly smiley . . .

Ellie was sporting sunglasses with her pajamas, bright and early this morning.








They're just so cute! And lovable! And today better go better than yesterday!

5 comments:

andrea kay said...

Those pictures are sure cute, even if there has been a lot of attitude all up in your house :)

Talina said...

I totally feel for Isaac. I remember you and Star and Star was so good at pushing YOUR buttons, so I know what it's like to be the third child :)
Well, your kids are great, even though they have bad days (years?) and you are a WONDERFUL mother so don't feel too bad. Let me know if you ever want a couple hours off (at least from your daughters. Isaac still needs you around more often than that), I'm totally willing to take your kids off your hands.

Kerry said...

Ahh .. I hear ya!! I'm at a similar spot with my two boys. Jackson goes from being an angel to a little devil in minutes. And Wyland knows how to push his buttons. They usually Jackson gets in more trouble because he's older and "should know better". It's a vicious cycle. I hope it's a short one for you!!

Ashley said...

I totally agree with 4 year olds is the worst age. dallin doesnt listen to me ever anymore and I also cant believe how rude he can be to people. I have no clue where it came from but it a daily battle with myself to not strangle him lol I feel for ya but then you see your sweet little boy smile and it makes it ok again :)

Meg said...

Please don't tell me Kaitlin is going to be worse at 4 than 3. She's so dramatic and moody right now too so I totally feel for you! Deep breaths - that's my only suggestion :)