Yesterday, during a lunch of incredible pumpkin waffles that Greg made us, I was worried when I noticed the near-baseball sized scoop of peanut butter he'd put on Ellie's plate for dipping. This mainly coming from the fact that I had spent nearly 20 minutes the day before, cleaning up smeared peanut butter from our chairs, table, floor, and random parts of the kitchen (when Greg had given her a big heaping scoop of peanut butter with french toast -- the man is making sure she gets her protein or something!) (And I have a nagging unnatural fear of Ellie sealing her mouth shut with a gob of peanut butter and choking.) (But mainly, this was about the mess potential). Anyway, I sighed, frustrated when Ellie grabbed a handful and started smearing it all over the table. I looked at Greg, and rather uncharitably grumbled, "You're cleaning it up this time, so grab a wet washcloth."
Annie, standing next to me, glanced up, rather surprised, and said, "Please Mom." I turned and looked at her. She added, "We say 'please, Dad' . . . 'grab a wet washcloth, please, Dad."
Put in my place by a three year old. Check.
(Hey, at least she's come to expect good manners out of me!)
5 comments:
Kids and manners always crack me up. I am constantly reinforcing it with my kids at school....so if they say, "thank you" or whatever, I usually respond with "oh what nice manners you have" instead of the traditional "You're welcome." Well, Ali was helping in my class, and someone told her thank you, and she said, "You're welcome" to which the student replied, "you are suppose to say what nice manners you have!" Ooopppppsss! I had confused them on the whole interchange, but by incessant need to reinforce positive behavior.
Seriously, Hilary. What kind of example are you? :)
That's what Annie is there for. To keep all of us in our places.
Some kids parents....
How did your kids sleep last night?
Haha that makes me giggle because I had about the exact conversation with Kaitlin this morning. I said no to something and she said "Mom we say No Thank You, that's the nice way to say it huh mom." These little minds never cease to amaze me.
Post a Comment