Monday, December 10, 2012

Family Vacation - Day 4


Our first port was Cabo.  We took a couple buses out to a place called Chilean Beach, which had some fun snorkeling.  Grandma Karine and Grandpa Robert have been working on snorkeling with Annie all year, and she is freaking amazing for a six year old -- I think she snorkels better than me (I tend to mildly freak out every 5 minutes or so and suddenly have to throw my head back out of the water because I attempt to breathe through my nose and only suck in mask, forgetting for a second that I'm supposed to be mouth breathing.)  The only snag in our plans was when we were walking from where the bus was dropping us off to the beach, and I tripped over a reflector on the side of the road with Owen in my arms.  I turned my body as quickly as I could mid-fall, and lost a chunk of my elbow and knee to the sacrifice of keeping the baby safe, but I wasn't able to completely keep him from getting hurt.  He got a couple tiny scrapes on his ankle, but the worst of it is where we bumped heads -- the bone beneath his right eye smacked against the bone of my jaw, and both of us ended up a little bruised and sore there for a few days.  (My knee and elbow, on the other hand, were shredded and still look disgusting and are painful nearly a week later).  He was pretty upset by it, and wore himself out crying by the time we got to the beach, and ended up napping the first hour or so there. 

 
His older brother had fallen asleep on the bus even before the big tripping debacle.


Everyone loved the snorkeling (lots of fish and some cool coral reefs to explore), loved the sand, and the water was clear and warm.  It was a pretty great day at the beach.
 

Grandma and Owen.  Owen was the lone holdout on the vacation who hated sand.  Everyone else dug and played in it, Bailey ate it by the handfuls.  Owen freaked out if anyone dared to touch even his foot to the gritty stuff.

Greg and the girls buried in the sand.



1 comment:

Jessi said...

Beach pictures are the best. They are never bad. Quinn still talks about our trip to the beach over the summer. She loved it.

Sorry about your fall. I think you always hurt yourself worse when trying to save the baby.