Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Hallelujah!

After a couple of double ear infections, followed by a few weeks of Annie asking everyone to repeat whatever they just said, and asking us to turn up the radio or TV, I bypassed the pediatrician this time and went straight to the source. Annie had her appointment with the Ear Nose and Throat doc today. My suspicions were confirmed -- mainly that the poor kid can barely hear 'cause her ears are filled with (non-infected, and therefore non-treatable) crap. And her history of ear infection after ear infection is worrisome (and costly, painful, unfair, avoidable and stupid). The doctor then made a best friend for life by uttering the most wonderful words in the entire English language, "Let's do tubes . . ." then added, "and I think if we take her adenoids out, it's going to cut down on her constantly running nose, as well as the ear infections." Then, even better, "I think I can fit her in next week." I love this man. I was on cloud nine, telling the receptionist as I made our 'two week post-op appointment' that this was like the best Christmas present ever. (Which is appropriate, as it'll cost more than either of the girls had spent on them for Christmas -- especially since we're out of flex spending money for the year. I could've waited two weeks and pushed surgery into next year and had a whole new batch of flex spending money at my disposal, but such is my extreme urgency to have my daughter out of pain and hearing again.) Surgery is scheduled for next week, and as much as I hate to think of any post operative pain or discomfort she'll have, I am beyond excited about this. Watching my children suffer through ear infections and the accompanying antibiotic treatments, especially after witnessing the complete miracle of tubes the first go around with Annie (she had them at 10 months, they just fell out this last year), it just seems like such a waste to put them through four, six or eight ear infections with the pediatrician to have 'enough' to justify a referral to an ENT. Which is why I bypassed that all this time, went straight to the source, and we'll be at the hospital bright and early next Thursday morning!

And, it turns out this doctor is very experienced. He's the one who took out my sister Lacy's adenoids when she was four. Took her from a literal snot nosed kid to just a figurative snot nosed kid . . . so he has a proven track record of good work. (Hi Lacy!) :-)

Oh -- talked to the doctor about Ellie's ear infections too. I didn't mention it on here yet, but Ellie ended up with another infection and is on antibiotics again this week. Ugh. With six ear infections last winter, and already up to two this winter, the ENT told me that one more ear infection in the next month, and I should just make an appointment with him and we'll get tubes in her ASAP. Is it wrong that I'm really kinda hoping she gets another ear infection next week? I so just want to get it over with!

Every night when we give Ellie her antibiotics, Annie hovers closely and starts to moan, "My ears hurt, can I have some medicine." She'll clutch her ears moan dramatically. Drug fiends after bubblegum flavored tylenol are very wily. I've informed her that if she hasn't complained all day about pain, then I'm not gonna buy it at bedtime. Last night she tried again though, and I mentioned cheerfully, "Oh, good news! We're going to an ear doctor tomorrow, and he's gonna be able to help us out with your ears!" She immediately backed away and said, "No, they're fine. Don't hurt at all. All better!" All morning she nearly cried when I told her we were going to the doctor's later. I kept assuring her he was just going to look in her ears, like a dozen other doctors have a hundred other times, but she just seemed really nervous. Then today the whole time she was at the doctor's, she was so stoic and quiet. He finished his (very non-invasive) tests and asked us to join him in his office to schedule tubes. Annie didn't move. I put my hand on her arm and said, "Annie, we're done. That's all there is." She visibly relaxed, then laughed and said, "That was easy!" I just keeping thinking, "What was she expecting!?"

2 comments:

Jessi said...

Oh, poor Annie! That is how I feel every time I go to the doctor's too. I am glad you got everything worked out.

Kerry said...

That's great news!! I wish her a speedy recovery. While these things aren't pleasant at the time they are definitely worth it in the long run!