I'm kinda proud of myself. Despite horrific morning sickness (that lasts all day and is worse in the evening), where foul smells send me running for somewhere to gag and hack and heave in private, I'm handling Annie's stench quite nicely. See, after the adenoids come out, the doctor mentioned there'd be an 'odor, some bad breath' for a few weeks coming from our three year old. The nurses were a bit more blunt, using words like 'horrific' and 'terrible' and the 'worst thing you've ever smelt' and 'kinda like a dead rat'. They knew what they were talking about. (I check poor Ellie's diaper like 30 times a day trying to pin down the smell). Walking into Annie's room in the middle of the night is like entering some festering den of death or something. Having her snuggle up in bed next to you is like cuddling with a backed up sewer. My mother even mentioned bouts of nausea hitting her when she was hanging out with Annie yesterday, and she can't blame morning sickness, just the smell.
Through it all though, I have cuddled my fussy child, cradled her while she screams her way through ear drops, and let her talk to me -- face to face! All the while fighting back the very real urge to start heaving while looking into her big brown eyes. When she has a nightmare, I can soothe her in my lap and stroke her hair, even though it smells like something crawled up her throat and died. I'm pretty proud of myself.
Mom's are amazing. We're capable of pretty much anything.
8 comments:
You are amazing! Moms are the best!
That is amazing. . . and humorous. . . and a little gross.
I'm glad Annie has such a stalwart Mommy, lucky girl!
LOL .. you are absolutely right. The moment you become a mother all of a sudden you are given powers that you never believed possible. Good for you!
ewww! Why the smell?
Has to do with the healing and scabbing and grossness of the surgical site up in her throat/behind her nose . . . while it's healing it stinks like rotting flesh basically . . .
I am really sad we missed out on smelling Annie this afternoon. It is a shame, that we do not get to experience this first hand.
oh I so feel for you, I am not pregnant thank goodness or I'm not sure that I would be able to fight back the urge to puke. I am with you on the breath, Zarleys is horrible too. They told me it was burnt flesh or whatever, blah! Zar's seems to be less noticable or maybe its my horribly stuffy nose either way I am thrilled to not smell it.
Annie is going to kill you when she reads this when she is about 13! Ha ha. You are an amazing mom smell or no smell.
Post a Comment