Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sleepless

I was pretty sure my next blog post would be the last of the Halloween pictures . . . those from the Ward Trunk or Treat and actual Trick or Treating around the neighborhood. But, when Ellie woke up around 2AM with a fever raging above 102 degrees, Halloween seemed like ancient history.

Oh, how I hate when my kids are sick. It's utterly heartbreaking to hold a fiery hot little body in the dark. You wish you could just will away their pain or discomfort. To feel Ellie last night was actually a little scary, as I kept stroking her back, in complete awe at just how hot she felt. I didn't want her out of my sight. But, I also know from experience that Ellie doesn't sleep if she's in bed with me, and I don't sleep at all if she's anywhere in the same room. But, having her in another room where I couldn't watch her breathe was also mildly terrifying to me, but I knew she (and I) needed rest. The only thing that made it a little bit easier was that she seemed to be fairly energized for such a feverish little kid. She crawled up into Greg's arms at one point, turned to the TV and asked him to turn it on. When he told her that it was 2AM, so we weren't going to turn on the TV, she just sighed, disappointed, and pretty much told him (through nonverbal communication skills that are unparalleled) that she just wanted to go back to her own bed then. And she went right back to sleep. Same thing can't be said for me. I was up for at least another hour. Then, right as I was finally drifting off, I heard Annie crying and starting to walk into my room. I got up and intercepted her and laid her back down in her bed, and agreed to lay in her room on the floor for a few minutes until she'd fallen back asleep. After trying to comfortably rest on the floor of my three year olds room for 5-10 minutes, I snuck back in my room and preceded to toss and turn for almost another 1/2 hour before finally drifting off. I also slept lightly, 'cause both girls had started coughing, and I woke to every little sound, but fortunately was able to fall back to sleep quicker, and they both slept until about 7ish.

Annie woke up this morning, feverless (she rarely runs fevers -- it's why doctors never believe me at first when I tell them she has ear infections), but listless and miserable looking. Ellie, amusingly, is actually a little bundle of feverish (literally) energy. Annie was lying back against the pillow, just looking morose. Ellie was jumping on the bed between coughing fits. Annie just wants to chill in her comfy sweats in bed for the rest of the morning and have books read to her, Ellie wants to play ball with Dad. I guess the fact that one of them isn't running a raging fever and the other isn't listless means I don't have to be overly worried about either of them, yet.

Last night I insisted on being in bed and asleep shortly after 10PM. Which was awesome, as I spent most of the hours of 2-5AM awake. So, now I'm not operating on a complete lack of sleep, just on the tiredness that comes with really broken up sleep. I have this intense fear of being overly tired. After Annie was born, I operated at nearly a comatose level for months as I never slept more than a couple hours in a row without long stretches of awake time. Now, I guard my sleep fiercely. First, I know that if I get out of bed at all or even sit up in bed, I'm up for quite awhile before I can fall back asleep. Greg, on the otherhand, can wake up, change the baby, put the three year old back in bed and assure her there's no monsters in her room, go downstairs and get himself a glass of milk, and still wake up in the morning and ask, "Did both kids sleep through the night?" No dear, you just have the amazing ability to sleep-parent, and I'm insanely jealous of it.

With Annie, I took too much of the nighttime burden on myself. I thought I needed to, because I was nursing. Not wanting to wake Greg ('cause he was the one going to work in the morning), I rarely woke him up to help. With Ellie, I learned my lesson. Greg can get up, change a diaper and fall back asleep instantly, so when Ellie was first born I would hear her cry and nudge Greg and ask him to bring me the baby. I'd nurse her while lying in bed (no more of that getting up and going and sitting in a chair in another room crap, that wasn't helping my sleeping!), all the while Greg would change her diaper or get anyting else done, then promptly fall back asleep. About 15 minutes later, the baby and I would both be nearly asleep again, and I'd nudge Greg and ask him to go put the baby back in bed. A minute later, he'd curl up in bed again and we'd both be out again in moments. It was a really good system. Now, Ellie doesn't need to wake up and nurse in the middle of the night anymore, and rarely wakes up between 7:30PM-7:00AM, so most of my nighttime wakings have been phased out. Annie on the otherhand, has started waking up fairly often at night with nightmares or weird dreams. (The other night she woke up yelling about the "Bad cats!" over and over again.) Greg almost always handles this. If Annie comes into our room, I will just pick her up and toss her into bed in between us, where only she will sleep well for the rest of the night (Greg complains that she pushes him out of bed and that her curly hair attacks his face). So, Greg will patiently walk her back into her room, get her situated and calmed down, and often stay in there for awhile. I do as little as possible during this time, 'cause every bit of energy or focus I expend on her being awake is just an extra 5 minutes of me trying to fall back asleep.

So, most of the nighttime parenting seems to fall on Greg's very capable-of-falling-back-asleep-easily shoulders. I sometimes feel a little guilty about that, but then I sleep and get over it. It's worked well for us, so far. (At least, Greg hasn't complained!) He tends to handle non-feeding nighttime wakings and I handle the feeding ones. Right now, with both kids in the toddler/preschool range, that makes things pretty easy on me. (Although, I do tend to handle 'sick' night time wakings, but fortunately those are the exception.)

Of course, less than 8 months from now, my nighttime work load is going to ramp up again, with nighttime wakings every 2-3 hours. And that thought makes me want to go take a nap right now.

13 comments:

Jessi said...

You are so sneaky! Putting the new nighttime feedings announcement at the very end. Sneaky, sneaky girl! Congrats! I am so excited for you all! I cannot wait to meet the new baby!

Vala said...

wow, is this an announcement? Congrats! And I totally empathize with the sleep thing. Just this weekend we have been trying to RE-train Isaac. The thought of another baby in the future makes me doubly tired, and want a nap, too! Good luck! Here's hoping for a healthy, happy pregnancy!

Liz Johnson said...

AH! I love the sneaky announcement at the end. VERY NICE. :) Congratulations!!

I'm so sorry about your sick girls. I stayed home with the kids today because I've been feeling sick, and of course today is the one Sunday where Chris has a Bar review course for six hours, so I don't even get to pawn them off on him and take a nap. Lovely.

Ugh, the sleep deprivation of a newborn. That's just one more thing I have been in denial about. Here's hoping we both have amazing sleepers this time around (although, to be fair, you deserve it WAY more than I do)!

Amanda and Ryan said...

I had to go back and read your post again to see if I had missed something, but you are indeed very sneaky! Congrats to you all on the soon to be new addition to your family!

Chrystal said...

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or should I say--I will now start mourning your sleepless nights that are yet to be. Just coming out of those 2-3 hour stretches, and getting 4-5 hour stretches (hooray for tender mercies), I could totally relate to your blog about sleeplessness. Thank you for the idea too. Nathan can very easily fall back asleep. He may not be as thankful, but I may suggest we do something similar for my sanity when I go back to work in 3 weeks (yikes). Anyway, SO excited for you!!

Lori's Family said...

Sorry your girls are sick again. Hopefully it will pass quickly this time. Congratulations! Maybe #3 will be a super sleeper. Audrey slept though the night at about one month. I will keep my fingers crossed for you:) You can come over and check out our floors when ever you want too. Hope everyone at your house has good sleep and sweet dreams tonight.

Sare said...

Did I just read through the lines what I THINK I read through the lines? No way! You're going to have a BROOD!! How exciting! Hope you're able to catch up on SOME form of sleep over the next few months...

Meg said...

Haha I love your little sneaky announcement. Yay! I'm so excited for you guys. I sure hope your kids get better soon and hopefully stay well for the winter. I am a horrible sleep deprived person so I am so not looking forward to the sleepness nights that are close. But Sam is the same way with being able to get up in the middle of the night and most of the time barely remembers it the next day so I may try and utilize him more with this baby as I did the same and took on all the night time stuff since I was nursing. Good luck with the sick ones! And hopefully you're not feeling too sick yourself!

Jackie H said...

Congrats. Pray for a good sleeper :) Some people get them---and you deserve one.

WonderKitty said...

Happy baby!! Talina let it slip the other day, so I was hoping you would announce for real soon so I could congratuate you.

Kids sick sucks. Any sick sucks. Hope everything is back to normal soon.

andrea kay said...

I hope the girls are feeling a little better. And I hope you don't get sick on top of it all.

And I am still super excited about baby #3. You can name her/him Andrea.

The Stowell's said...

Man, Hil, you are sneaky, If Rach didn't spill the beans a few days ago, I probably would have missed it completely... :) Congrats. Oohh, yeah, Rob is the exact same way when he gets up in the middle of the night... He doesn't remember even getting up... The bad thing is that he doesn't always hear Maysie in the middle of the night so I still get my turn plenty of times throughout the night, and since he is often working and away from home through out the week, the parenting solo comes into effect!

The Daltons said...

So it's been way too long since I've read your blog! I only knew you had a miscarriage because you mentioned it at my shower, but after reading your blog about it, I am even more impressed by you. You always have such great thoughts expressed in your blogs! And now you're pregnant again, I'm so happy for you! You're such a good mom, this new addition is lucky to be coming into your family! Plus, I have to admit I'm happy to have another friend that will have a baby within a few months of me. More friends for our kids!