Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Crazy, Memorable Day

I think often of what it will be like to look back at this time.

The time the whole world slowed down, everyone went home, and things became both noisier and quieter all at once.  A global pandemic changing life so completely, as we all wait to see what the fall out of the COVID-19 virus ends up being.  Watching the markets tumble, everything shut down, and seeing news from people all around the world facing the same things we are.

Then this morning I got up a little early to get Isaac and I ready to go for his orthodontist appointment.  And I felt a rumble.  I wondered for a split second if Isaac had just jumped off something.  Did a big truck just go by? Was the wind really bad?  It isn't stopping.  We're moving.  An earthquake.  I forgot EVERYTHING I ever learned about what to do in an emergency and just yelled for my kids, asking if they were okay, and ran to the hall between all of our bedrooms.  They were all emerging as the shaking stopped.  I sent Ellie down to grab Annie.  Who we woke up (and she is pretty bitter she missed a 5.7 earthquake down in the basement) and I bundled up all of my children and drove them to the orthodontist with me, because there was no way I was leaving them home.  

We're living in weird, kinda scary, a little unsettling, and constantly changing times.
Due to the viral epidemic, kids are out of school for the foreseeable future and today was the first day we all got online and started digital school.

And it was a beautiful day.  We learned together, read together, cooked together, ate together, played together, laughed together.  My kids seem so completely without fear.  We paused home school midday (for our third recess) because the sun came out and there was basketball to be played.  Bill Nye on Youtube was needed for a refresher about how the Richter scale works.  And we wanted to have a dance party.  

I hope and pray that when my kids look back at the time their school was cancelled and they couldn't see their friends or cousins due to a global pandemic, and their was an earthquake, and life was chaotic and ever changing, and they started doing school in their front room, that they smile and look back fondly.  Because I know I'm never going to forget this day.  And how weirdly, unbelievably, crazily good it was.  













No comments: