Thursday, January 17, 2019

Tribute to Uncle Karl




All day today I've had a scripture running through my mind. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." I've been thinking of it since I woke up this morning. Then I came across some pictures as I was organizing pictures for Karl's funeral. Pictures of my grandparents caring for their baby boy. My grandparents laid down their lives in their great love for their son. They sacrificed their resources, sleep, security, their bodies, their health, all that they had to love on this little boy more than any two people ever could. They gave their lives completely to his care and to creating the best life possible for him; at a time people told them to 'put him away' and it was frowned upon to take him in public, my Grandparents built their family and life around this exceptionally loved child. My Grandma dedicated her life, day in and day out, to caring for his every need. She was raising her youngest child long past when her children were done raising theirs, even past when some of her grandchildren were done with diapers and feeding their toddlers. My Grandpa would move mountains to make Karl happy and safe, to distract him from pain or sorrow. He made up songs and games for everything, and he was never far from Karl's side. He kept Karl's eye drops in his pockets at all times, so Karl never had to get eye drops that were cold. I came across these pictures I took of Karl getting his drops, and I was touched beyond words. As sad as I am today, I can't help but think what an amazing time these three are having as they catch up on a lifetime of the things that couldn't be said or done.

















It seems like every few hours something new hits me and I feel a new wave of grief and loss as I think of my beloved Uncle Karl. My tears flow more readily each day. My sisters and I have discussed at length how the title 'Uncle', as amazing as it is, just doesn't quite describe the relationship and status Karl had in our lives. We've settled on the closest description being "Uncle Baby Brother". We've loved him fiercely for as long as we can remember. I may or may not have almost punched a kid in my Primary class who made fun of him, before a very kind, wise, loving teacher took me aside and taught me just how lucky I was to have an Uncle Karl who taught me the lessons I'd been so privileged to learn about the tremendous value those who speak, think, look, or act differently than me bring to our world. My life is so much better and richer for having had him as one of my greatest examples and influences.
I was privileged to pull together the words of some of my very eloquent cousins and sisters, since my brain seems to have switched to grief-induced-writers-block, to help write his obituary:


Karl was born November 28, 1964 to Pennell “Pete” Powell and Kay Hamelwright Powell, and returned to his parents on January 12, 2019, just two weeks to the day after his Mom passed away and went ahead to put the finishing touches on his homecoming.
When Mom contracted German Measles while pregnant, the family knew Karl could be born with challenges, but we did not yet know how his special needs would bless and shape the lives of so many. Karl was the youngest of 8 children, was adored and protected by his siblings, and his parents would dedicate the rest of their lives to his love and care. Karl’s diagnosis of Cerebral Palsy would only be the beginning of his medical issues, and he would lose his sight to glaucoma at 6 years old. There were numerous times we feared we would lose him, but through all his challenges he remained cheerful and a source of joy to all those who knew him. Karl had a warm, loving personality, and people were drawn to him -- he enjoyed countless friends and a wonderful life. He was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and his parents were so proud of him when he went on to earn his Eagle Scout Award. We are grateful for every one of the 54 years we were blessed with his love and influence, and for the enduring lessons he taught each one of us.
Karl not only taught us why the chicken crossed the road, but he taught us not to judge people by their limitations. He was the greatest example of love, joy, acceptance of God’s will, and endurance, that any of us have ever been blessed to know and love. His spirit was unlike any other, and he touched the lives of all who came into contact with him, especially little children.
We will miss his laughter, his Eskimo kisses, his jokes, making sure we were wearing shoes with laces, putting on hats before we left to go visit, his long prayers where you listened for your name, and his reminder of what is truly important in life -- but in death, as in life, he is ever teaching us and focusing us on the bigger picture. We are comforted and overjoyed as we imagine the reunion that took place with his parents, as they ran to embrace one another; not only together, but whole.
Karl was survived (and loved fiercely) by his devoted big brothers and sisters Teresa, Mike, Judy (Jerry), Jeff (Wendy), Karine (Robert), and Kerry (Karen); and countless relatives and loved ones who were changed for the better for knowing him.
Karl was preceded in death by, and reunited joyously with his loving, dedicated parents; his brother, Burns; sister-in-law Cheri; nieces, April and Heather; and his great nephew, Collin.
The family would like to express their gratitude to the staff and residents of Foundations for Independence, the Work Activity Center, and to the many medical professionals, caregivers, teachers, and friends who blessed Karl’s life.
Funeral services will be held Saturday, January 19th, 11:00 a.m., at McDougal Funeral Home, 4330 South Redwood Road, with a viewing immediately preceding at 10:00 a.m. Interment to follow at Valley View Memorial Park.


No comments: